996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2001 996 Turbo No RMS or IMSB Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2001 996 Turbo No RMS or IMSB Issues?

OK, I think I will give up on the 7 owner CS4. I have another question.
Didnt I read here that the Turbo engine is completely different and immune to the RMS and IMSB issues? Please correct me if I am wrong. The 2001 Turbo has 50000 miles on it. Asking price seems reasonable.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 177 Posts

There is no IMSB in the Turbo.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
OK, I think I will give up on the 7 owner CS4. I have another question.
Didnt I read here that the Turbo engine is completely different and immune to the RMS and IMSB issues? Please correct me if I am wrong. The 2001 Turbo has 50000 miles on it. Asking price seems reasonable.
The Turbo engine is a different engine than the NA engines.

It does not have a rep for seal leaks but any seal can leak. A good inspection of the car's underside after a test ride/drive will turn up any signs of leaks.

(You or a PPI should check every seal, every gasket, fitting, but be sure you check the selector shafts. It was from a selector shaft seal my Turbo's transmission was leaking.)

The Turbo engine does not have the same style/design IMS (aka layshaft) and bearing as the NA engine. The shaft is gear driven by the crank and runs in high pressure oil fed bearings.

The gear drive can generate a bit of extra noise but you should not hear anything scary in this area or any other area but of course you have to know what is scary and what is not scary.

The 6-speed can rattle a bit once warmed up but push down the clutch and the noise should go away and when you release the clutch be gone, until you say give it some throttle again.

There have been a few (very few) cases of the bolts holding the gear wheel or maybe the chain sprocket to the shaft coming loose.

There are high mileage examples of these cars in service. My 03 Turbo is closing in on 99K miles and will probably be at 100K before year end. There is another Turbo (S model I believe) that has gone over 350K miles with no internal engine work required.

Anyhow, these cars are not known for engine troubles, though there are exceptions.

You must strive to find/buy a good example. Well maintained, well cared for, "loved", and of course no matter what else in good condition.

No ungodly rattles, knocks, ticks, no scary or sick engine noises at all.

To much too cover but be sure you spend some time in the car as a passenger and as a driver. Total miles covered around 30 miles.

You want to experience the car/engine from a cold start, cold to warm idle, running around town until warmed up, then steady speed cruising and a few full throttle acceleration runs. The engine must idle smooth, without drama, run around town like a 500K mile Yellow Cab, and tear *** down the highway until the test driver or you run out of road or courage.

Mind the gage readings: oil pressure, boost, voltages, coolant temp. These are cool running engines but you want to make sure the cooling system is working properly.

Then you give the car a full used car check out.

Then you get the car in the air and a PPI underneath and let him find something to cause you to reject the car. It is after test ride/drive that leaks are looked for.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Mac,
Thank you very much. Is there anyplace that explains the differences in these two engines. I had no idea they were completely different internally just because its turbo charged. I assume the 2001 is a TT @415HP. The car is low mileage at about 50,000 miles.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Barn996
Race Director

There was an 03 turbo here on Rennlist for $39k posted the other day.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

look on the Turbo Forum maybe they have some to sell!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 02-04 996 Turbos are the best value in the Porsche world!!! Given original cost, styling and what they can now be had for!!! An 05 Turbo S is even better - well if you can get rid of the ceramic brakes!!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 818 Posts

Judging by all of your threads, I really don't think a Porsche is the car for you. It's pretty obvious you're the kind of person who will spend all their time worrying about some kind of impending doom rather than just enjoying the car as you should.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Judging by all of your threads, I really don't think a Porsche is the car for you. It's pretty obvious you're the kind of person who will spend all their time worrying about some kind of impending doom rather than just enjoying the car as you should.
Good call.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+996
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Mac,
Thank you very much. Is there anyplace that explains the differences in these two engines. I had no idea they were completely different internally just because its turbo charged. I assume the 2001 is a TT @415HP. The car is low mileage at about 50,000 miles.
Anyplace I do not know.

One place you can learn some about the differences is from the book at this link:

Amazon Amazon

"I assume the 2001 is a TT @415HP. The car is low mileage at about 50,000 miles."

I do not know of which specific 2001 911 you speak of, but let me make this point: All 996 Turbos have a turbo-charged engine, fitted with twin turbos at the factory and the car and the engine are quite well suited to this turbo-charging application.

But not all 996 engines that are turbo-charged are Turbo engines. Some owners have added an aftermarket turbo (or supercharger) to a NA (naturally aspirated) engine.

All the heat and stress of turbo-charging *without* the solid foundation the Turbo engine has to offer.

If you want a Turbo be sure you buy a Turbo. If you want a turbo-charged 996, well, they are out there or you can buy a stock one and add an aftermarket turbo charger via a kit.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

well now that you've said it, I'll say AMEN

Quick Reply: 2001 996 Turbo No RMS or IMSB Issues?