996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

28 mpg averaging 74 mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting about 15 in the city, 19 on the highway. Could be low because the of Super-Charger!

Not sure about ethanol in my gas though. I'm in Western PA.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Since the A/C system operates 24/7 then opening the A/C clutch circuit except when actual cooling, initial cabin cooldown, is needed will improve FE. My switch for that is conveniently mounted on the back wall of the console "cubby". It spends a LOT of time in the "off" position.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Since the A/C system operates 24/7 then opening the A/C clutch circuit except when actual cooling, initial cabin cooldown, is needed will improve FE. My switch for that is conveniently mounted on the back wall of the console "cubby". It spends a LOT of time in the "off" position.
Monitoring engine load with the A/C on or off (barring having the A/C deal with a very hot cabin on a hot day) and at least with the autoclimate system which is what my cars have with its variable displacement A/C compressor the system barely causes an uptick on the percent of load when switched on and a down tick when switched off. These modern A/C systems are pretty darn efficient and do not present that much of a parasitic load.

Oh, what appears to be a goodly amount of parasitic load is the electrical power required to run the cabin vent fan and the head/tail lights.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 28 mpg averaging 74 mph