Sponsored by:

Drivers door window when closing door issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
mikeshaver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door window when closing door issue

I have a '99 996 convertible. Recently (after engine was out...oil separator / starter...long story) when I'm closing the drivers door...the window rolls down a bit as it should when I pull the door handle. But then it rolls itself right back up before the door gets closed and the window hits the cabriolet top.

Switch/sensor somewhere...?

Tips appreciated as to a fix or starting point would be appreciated!

Mike
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Sounds like a bad microswitch...

Search for "microswitch" and you should find some threads on it...
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
calbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the meantime, here's a workaround: shut the door while pulling slightly on the door handle. Slightly means just enough to trigger the microswitch to lower the glass to the position it's supposed to be when shutting the door. This should work for you whether you're sitting inside or standing outside the car.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeshaver
I have a '99 996 convertible. Recently (after engine was out...oil separator / starter...long story) when I'm closing the drivers door...the window rolls down a bit as it should when I pull the door handle. But then it rolls itself right back up before the door gets closed and the window hits the cabriolet top.

Switch/sensor somewhere...?

Tips appreciated as to a fix or starting point would be appreciated!

Mike
If the window doesn't drop when the inside or outside door handle is pulled the door handle has a bad switch. Or possibly a bad mechanical link but my experience is the cause of this behavior was a bad handle switch.

If the window drops but goes up once the door is open the door latch switch is bad.

When the door is open this latch switch should keep the window from raising again even after the door handle is released.

Only when the door is closed and the handle released should the door latch switch then signal the window be raised to complete the door closure operation.

I had the cause of some similar behavior diagnosed/confirmed by a dealer tech before I had the cause of the symptom fixed just to be sure of the source of the problem.

Either one of these items is DIY for someone who is up to exposing the door innards and getting his hands dirty.

A couple of sanity checks before you tear into the doors: Be sure the water drains are clear and that the carpets under the seats and along the doors is dry.

Listen for any sloshing noises when shake the doors back and forth.

Unlikely to help but since the battery was disconnected the window limits have to be reset.

IIRC the steps are to use the window lower button to lower the window. Release the button. Then use the raise button to bring the window all the way up and after it is all the way up continue to hold the raise button down for 5 more seconds. Then release the button.

Do the same for the other window.

But the behavior suggests a bad switch.

You want a good DIY write up on this before you tackle it.

If you tear into the door, mind the side air bags. They can sometimes fire off if not handled properly and you do not want to be holding one if it does decide to go boom.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Drivers door window when closing door issue