Sponsored by:

Pelican Parts just lost me *rant warning*

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pelican Parts just lost me *rant warning*

I only needed one part, for about $25, which didn't quality for free shipping. So I loaded the cart with things I'll need eventually, but don't have an immediate need for. Using the guidance of the Web site, I continued to add items until the Free Shipping barrier was broken. I go to check out only to find that some items come from a different warehouse and therefore the shipping will be charged on those items. I called customer service, but they are unable/unwilling to make any changes. He kept explaining where the warehouse were, etc. I don't care if the warehouse is on the moon, I'm just the consumer.

Told him they'd lose the business. He didn't seem to care. Good alternatives to Pelican?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

sunset. suncoast. autoatlanta.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, ranting a little quickly there. I just deleted the stuff from the other warehouse and maintained free shipping. Crazy. I simply followed their own prompts to add more to meet the minimum. I know there Web site leaves a bit to be desired, at least IMO. I guess the backend stuff that determines what the customer is shown during ordering could also use some updating.

And I'm still frustrated that the cs agent didn't get my point. He just kept explaining over again that there were multiple warehouses.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 987 Posts

I've ordered parts from Suncoast Parts and from Sunset Imports and been very happy with both of them.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suncoast is great -- if you call them, tell them you are a RL'er, and they usually cut a discount.

Thanks,

DS
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Never understood the draw of Pelican. Suncoast is always cheaper for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Pelican does a fine job. They have a way for you to save on freight in certain scenarios, and other items from other locations get charged freight. It costs them, so you pay. If the guy would have explained it like that he would have likely been called rude but that's what he was getting at with the multiple warehouses. They couldn't bundle it into the free freight offer.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
One Nut
Instructor

I've purchased thousands of dollars of parts from Pellican Parts and NEVER had one issue when I restored my 82 SC. Also I just ordered a wheel liner from them and again no issues. I tried ordering from Suncoast but there shipping was over 50.00$ crazy. Suncoast did contact me asking why I cancelled the order and told them that Pellican was shipping for free. They NICELY told me that that part is sensitive and must be packed very carefully. Well when I got the wheel liner it was packed so well I questioned the free part. Now I know pellican was more expensive but still cheaper than suncoast with shipping. I have ordered from Suncoast and willl continue to do so in the future.. I like them both... cheers
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Scott 951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne is the owner and a good guy search my threads I put one of discount codes pelican sends me on the free thread here on RL and a "self appointed" Rennlist Attorney posted in my thread that it was illegal to post this discount...much too my surprise Wayne posted in my thread in my defense... Send him a PM and I'm sure he would appreciate the feedback and also will help you out and remedy you situation....also I bet he'd like to know who on his staff made such a lasting impression on you as well
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

If Pelican had promised free shipping and then charged for shipping after the fact, I could understand the rant. BUT, their website is very up-front about the fact that depending on the warehouse, some parts don't ship for free. You can see in the shopping cart whether you've hit the bar or not. You either accept it or you don't. No need to pull the I'll-take-my-business-elsewhere card. Pelican has been very supportive of the Porsche/BMW community, what with their message boards, excellent service manuals, etc. Are their prices always the cheapest? No, but in a world where people willingly stand in line to pay too much for the latest iCrap from Apple, I don't sweat a few bucks to get a part shipped to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
If Pelican had promised free shipping and then charged for shipping after the fact, I could understand the rant. BUT, their website is very up-front about the fact that depending on the warehouse, some parts don't ship for free. You can see in the shopping cart whether you've hit the bar or not. You either accept it or you don't. No need to pull the I'll-take-my-business-elsewhere card. Pelican has been very supportive of the Porsche/BMW community, what with their message boards, excellent service manuals, etc. Are their prices always the cheapest? No, but in a world where people willingly stand in line to pay too much for the latest iCrap from Apple, I don't sweat a few bucks to get a part shipped to me.
+1,000

I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from Pelican and I will continue to do so. The one time I did have a problem with my order, Wayne stepped in and bent over backwards to make it right...he is a stand up guy.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing as amazon free shipping. Confusing? U bet.
I ordered many things from them, on-line or by phone, always good experience.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive never seen that issue on pelican but I have seen it on rockauto ...forcing me to switch part vendors to bundle the shipping. The web sites never tell you which warehouse stuff ship from until checkout .. so far very happy with pelican for porsche and bmw parts .. but sounds like they are not immune from this issue either ....
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more point ... pelican site makes it easy to pick porsche Oe equivalent parts which they have from quality German vendors ... I think more appropriate for many of us on 10 y/o cars ... for genuine porsche parts sonnen and other dealer sites seem to be cheaper on the few items I checked ....
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been shopping at Pelican Parts for many years and never had a problem. I usually ask to speak with Darren and he handles everything for me. I also shop at Suncoast and autoatlanta and neveer an issue Guess I'm just lucky. I try to use the sponsers on these various forum sites

Quick Reply: Pelican Parts just lost me *rant warning*