996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any Opinions on These 2 Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

If you do get the C2, there are a couple of cosmetic things you can do to make it look 100% better. First, the headlights have been updated to clear from the original amber, but the PO didn't replace the triangles to clear. These are $40-50 for both sides. Second, the PO didn't update the rear lenses. Fortunately, you can find these on E Bay all the time for $200-300 set. I would do this, of course, after any mechanical issues are handled.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

As others have said, a PPI is extremely important.

I would not buy any car this old without seeing it in the flesh topside, inside and underneath and decide if it is what I want to buy. I looked at an '05 Turbo almost 2 years ago with 35K miles that was horribly corroded on the chassis, transmission, motor and all suspension. The seller had a home in the northeast and drove on salty wet roads a lot. He also have a home in Florida. The car passed a very thorough PPI mechanically but the terrible corrosion was too severe to repair.

Dealers and detailers can make a terribly abused beater look almost new. A trained eye can pick up tell tale signs of what the "before" was. "Lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

And BTW, I looked for several months for the wife's Boxster, 15 months for my first 996, nearly a year for my Turbo. In the end, I got the best cars money could buy. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Any Opinions on These 2 Cars?