Sponsored by:

Tranny HELP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tranny HELP HELP

before you all say it I know, I have made a right **** of myself, I wanted to change the tranny oil on my 04 40th, so i went straight in and struggled to remove what I initially thourght was the fill plug, after struggling and getting it out I now realise it isnt, problem is I cant seem to get the bolt back in, can anyone help establish what teh bolt is and how I can get it back in as it is only threading in so much and it is them binding. it was a bolt with a turned approx 3/8 shaft on the end, I presume whatever the shaft locates on is where it is binding, PLEASE HELP, it is on the upper gearbox housing on the RHS looking from under the car, is is a 8 point hex bolt
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
D6lc
Pro

Fixed with some logic thinking…..which is a pity I didn’t try and apply some of that first!!
I think its a gear change detent bolt, I dropped it back in neutral and with some delicate movement of the lever the bolt screwed home with no issues!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are a lucky lucky man if you were able to get that screw back in, and in the correct location. These are pretty touch to lineup with the gearbox taken apart.

Erik Johnson
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Moral of the story is to check thrice before draining your gearbox
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 AM
D6lc
Pro

Moral of the story is, don’t rush after a 16 hr flight to get your oil change done on a Friday, take your time and do it Saturday.

Story is not over, the gearbox centralizing spring isn’t working, does that mean gearbox out??, then does the box need disassembling?? if so I am now thinking:-
1. Should I get the 2nd gear rebuild fix (even though mine seems ok)
2. Get the LN IMS & RMS seal done
3. Replace the clutch or if it is ok leave it?, I’m on 40000 miles

any views on this developing nightmare that in some ways might give me the opportunity of some major preventative maintenance.

Quick Reply: Tranny HELP HELP