Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coilovers and... (other parts to consider with coilovers?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coilovers and... (other parts to consider with coilovers?)

So I have noticed the *** in my C4S is starting to sag ever so slightly. Eventually I would like to upgrade to some adjustable coilovers.

My question is if there is anything else that I should consider installing at the same time to ensure I don't have any challenges with alignment or handling characteristics when changing from stock?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the coilovers...but you might need different sway bars and/or lower control arms.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
dotframe
Pro

I'm leaning towards PSS10s but I'll be watching ebay and the classifieds here within the next few months for whatever looks like a good deal
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a used set of TechArt Coil-overs I will part with for $750. Low price is because the front Bilstein incerts need to be replaced. Bilstein can do for about $500 I am told. Rather than fix these I put in a used set of PSS 9s my Indy sourced for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your Prefered Ride height.... if you go GT2 Ride height or Higher you should be fine with Stock components.
Anything lower you will need Front and Rear Lower Adjustable Controls Arms & Adjustable Toe Links and Rear Upper Adjustable Dogbones to get the geometry right for a Good Track Set-Up and Tire Wear.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

everything above, and depends on how you want to use/drive the car. Track set up would be different that a "purely" street ride.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM
BlownC2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have a used set of PSS9's for sale in a week or two. Pm me if you're interested.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 AM
dotframe
Pro

Thanks for the tips guys! Im shooting for daily drive able with as much track time as i can afford so it sounds like i should consider doing more than just the coilovers.

Wow I wish I was ready to pick up the used ones you guys are offering but I won't be ready for at least a few months.

Naturally when I am ready to buy there won't be a set anywhere in the country
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If I may make a suggestion for you, don't go off the deep end with mono *****, dog bones, etc., as you want to be able to still enjoy the street and that type of set-up will more likely than not be way to stiff and unforgiving for the road. Coilovers, gt3 sway bars and drop links, adjust the ride height and align and corner balance accordingly and the car will track flatter, transition weight smoother and turn-in better and you can still enjoy the ride on the street, although it will be a stiffer ride. This should also save you a couple of bucks verses going "all-in" amd setting the car up to stiff for the street. Just my suggestion. And if you are committed to making changes, start acquiring the bits and pieces as you go, rather than everything ast once. You can be install the bits whenever you are ready, this winter when most of the shops slow down. GL.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

keep in mind each time you add anything to your suspension system you need a new alignment and it is costly compared to the parts. The 996 is VERY sensitive to alignment.

go for:
PSS10
tarett drop links (pricey but proven quality, only one with boots you need those on the street)
dog bones if you want to go any lower than stock, if not your camber will be to high and tire wear will be accelerated on the inside of the tire.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

My advice is to add components one at a time. This way you get to feel the difference each modification gives you. As you know, I recently added H&R coilovers and Tarret front camber plates. These mods along with an alignment and corner balance have really transformed car. My alignment specs are front camber -2.8, rear camber -2.3 front toe @ 0, rear toe @ 2 mm toe in. So far I notice some bump steer with this setup. Dog bones are next to cure this along with a stiffer front sway bar. That is as far as I will take it.

Quick Reply: Coilovers and... (other parts to consider with coilovers?)