Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Ownership after one year... I'm Out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:43 AM
MOVENU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can relate. Bought mine a few months ago and nothing but problems since.
I didn't have a mechanic check it out prior to sale which is on me but man...the problems I'm having are never ending...Reminds me of my 1994 Nissan 300zx TT. A great car when its running properly - which is rare.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM
pecto3
Intermediate

Just want to add my two cents. A little over two years ago, I bought my 2000 C2, black on black with just basic options. I've been hunting for over a year then for the right car, my budget was about 20k and willing to finance it. Finally, after checking the usual suspects almost on a daily basis, someone posted on craigslist a 2000 C2 for 14K. Check it out the same day and made an offer pending maintenance record from a local dealership. The price was too good to be true but the economy then was still weak. Selling point for the car was that the engine was replaced back in '06 from the dealership. This really gotten me excited as the mileage for the reman engine then was about 39k miles.

I didn't pay for a PPI (which I know I should have) but at least I'm a little bit familiar with the M96 engine and its issues coming from my previous 1997 Boxster. I went over the car to look for the usual suspect of oil leak, the part between transmission and engine was completely dry but the rear most part of the engine on the passenger side has a slight weep of oil (it still is up to now). The paint look tired as well as the interior but its all cosmetic. Driver side window creaks (maybe regulator, will be a next project), center console hinge broken (just recently repaired), vanity mirror cover missing (minor repair) and a couple of dashboard and headliner noises (I guess it's common and no action will be taken). Mag wheels were also littered by curb rash and have to be refinish ($60 DIY with paint and a lot of elbow grease). The engine pulls strong, the car drives straight, the brake is good and no unusual noises noted during the test drive.

So, I finally bought the car with a negotiated price of 13K with 97k miles on the chassis as the maintenance record was provided. It turned out that it was a crack cylinder head was the culprit for the original engine damage and a reman engine was goodwilled for a 6 year old car with almost 60k miles on it back in 2006.

So, driving around town the following day, all minor and major nuances has emerge!
1. I cannot lock/unlock the car using the keyfob, replace the battery ($6)on both keys, one completely not working and the other one barely works (no action taken as of today)

2. While replacing the keyfob battery in the Walmart parking, I noticed the front tires were all worn out
from the inside, took the car right away to the tire shop to get it replaced ($350).

3. Driving about 50 miles, the check engine light came on, my heart almost burst out of my chest! Took
it to a local indy with a diagnosis of a failed cat converter on the passenger side he offered Fabspeed cats for $1900 installed, I'd pass and gotten a used one for $400 after a few days.

4. After adding 25 more miles the same day, the brake indicator light lit up! Checked it out and the pads were worn down to the sensors on all 4's apparently. Took the car to the local dealesrhip where the car was usually serviced and the service advisor told me "so you were the buyer of this car! the previous owner's rep was all over us the last couple of days requesting maintenance record". Anyway, the service advisor told me that a complete brake service was recommended a few months ago but the PO refused. Dealer was charging $2200 for the brake job. I ordered online brake pads and fluid for aobut $140 then DIY the brakes. Will need to change rotors next time around.

5. Again, the very next day after I bought the car, a rattle (marble in tin can type) is being heard when parking (low rev). The sound was not consistent and only happens between 2K to 3K rpm and it's coming from the passenger side, took the exhaust can out and revealed that a baffle or two was loose, bought a used one for $200 and the noise was gone.

6. Reverse gear was very hard to engage, very embarassing while pulling from the parking lot, I thought it was only me not used to a 6 speed gear but when I went to the dealership, the service advisor told me that a transmission service was also recommended several months ago, so I did DIY transmission fluid replacement using lubro moly fluid for about $60 and cured the hard shifting reverse.

Now, all of these issues happened the very next day after I bought the car. All issues resolved now except the driver window side regulator and the vanity mirror cover. Sorry for the long post but I just cannot help to say that not all of cheap 996 and non-PPI cars has a sad story to tell. PPI is still a must but given the asking price for my car back then, it was only several thousand more than a roller so I told my wife, if the engine would grenade at any given point, at least were not too much in deep money.

It has been a little over two years now and the car has been trouble free(knock on wood!). I just do my regular maintenance, and I was one of the first buyers of Jake's IMS guardian as my reman engine was installed back in '06 so it might have a non-serviceable bearing. Next up for me is to replace the water pump and coolant along with a low temp themostat.

I have just been very lucky with my purchase and because of the fear of the so called "death rattle", Im now a proud owner of a good running 996. I feel the PO has deceived me as the check engine light and brake sensor warning light can actually be masked for a few miles by unplugging the battery, but everything is good now, I guess, what can you expect for a 13K 996!

In closing, my opinion on buying a Porsche especially a 996, it's an emotional buy and one needs to get themselves educated on what to expect on maintenance. Issues on M96 needed to be known and most importantly, how much a perspective owner can actually stomach if something catastrophic would happen. Thank you for reading!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang Pecto, thats some ordeal! It sounds like somebody drove the hell out of that car (I do know a few of them on here that believe you're suppose to drive them like there's no tomorrow) If they're the one paying for it I guess thats their peroggative (I just don't want to be the one that buys it when they're thru trashing it) but like you said, what can you expect for 13k! Glad you're enjoying it now. jmo
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....been away from the forum awhile and when I started reading this tread I couldn't believe the responsed to such a "about nothing post". You bought a lemon and traded in a lemon to the dealer and someone else will end up buying this lemon and probably will have the same ****ty experience as you did. LOL
So what is the point here....a warning to all that Porsche makes an unrealiable car.....REALLY! I can't help but chuckle. One bad apple doesn't always mean that the entire barrel is bad too. Do your homework and be passionate about what you want to buy....doesn't sound like you are if you ended up trading in a Porsche for a Camaro....LOL.

Enjoy your new ride.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pecto3
Just want to add my two cents. A little over two years ago, I bought my 2000 C2, black on black with just basic options. I've been hunting for over a year then for the right car, my budget was about 20k and willing to finance it. Finally, after checking the usual suspects almost on a daily basis, someone posted on craigslist a 2000 C2 for 14K. Check it out the same day and made an offer pending maintenance record from a local dealership. The price was too good to be true but the economy then was still weak. Selling point for the car was that the engine was replaced back in '06 from the dealership. This really gotten me excited as the mileage for the reman engine then was about 39k miles.

I didn't pay for a PPI (which I know I should have) but at least I'm a little bit familiar with the M96 engine and its issues coming from my previous 1997 Boxster. I went over the car to look for the usual suspect of oil leak, the part between transmission and engine was completely dry but the rear most part of the engine on the passenger side has a slight weep of oil (it still is up to now). The paint look tired as well as the interior but its all cosmetic. Driver side window creaks (maybe regulator, will be a next project), center console hinge broken (just recently repaired), vanity mirror cover missing (minor repair) and a couple of dashboard and headliner noises (I guess it's common and no action will be taken). Mag wheels were also littered by curb rash and have to be refinish ($60 DIY with paint and a lot of elbow grease). The engine pulls strong, the car drives straight, the brake is good and no unusual noises noted during the test drive.

So, I finally bought the car with a negotiated price of 13K with 97k miles on the chassis as the maintenance record was provided. It turned out that it was a crack cylinder head was the culprit for the original engine damage and a reman engine was goodwilled for a 6 year old car with almost 60k miles on it back in 2006.

So, driving around town the following day, all minor and major nuances has emerge!
1. I cannot lock/unlock the car using the keyfob, replace the battery ($6)on both keys, one completely not working and the other one barely works (no action taken as of today)

2. While replacing the keyfob battery in the Walmart parking, I noticed the front tires were all worn out
from the inside, took the car right away to the tire shop to get it replaced ($350).

3. Driving about 50 miles, the check engine light came on, my heart almost burst out of my chest! Took
it to a local indy with a diagnosis of a failed cat converter on the passenger side he offered Fabspeed cats for $1900 installed, I'd pass and gotten a used one for $400 after a few days.

4. After adding 25 more miles the same day, the brake indicator light lit up! Checked it out and the pads were worn down to the sensors on all 4's apparently. Took the car to the local dealesrhip where the car was usually serviced and the service advisor told me "so you were the buyer of this car! the previous owner's rep was all over us the last couple of days requesting maintenance record". Anyway, the service advisor told me that a complete brake service was recommended a few months ago but the PO refused. Dealer was charging $2200 for the brake job. I ordered online brake pads and fluid for aobut $140 then DIY the brakes. Will need to change rotors next time around.

5. Again, the very next day after I bought the car, a rattle (marble in tin can type) is being heard when parking (low rev). The sound was not consistent and only happens between 2K to 3K rpm and it's coming from the passenger side, took the exhaust can out and revealed that a baffle or two was loose, bought a used one for $200 and the noise was gone.

6. Reverse gear was very hard to engage, very embarassing while pulling from the parking lot, I thought it was only me not used to a 6 speed gear but when I went to the dealership, the service advisor told me that a transmission service was also recommended several months ago, so I did DIY transmission fluid replacement using lubro moly fluid for about $60 and cured the hard shifting reverse.

Now, all of these issues happened the very next day after I bought the car. All issues resolved now except the driver window side regulator and the vanity mirror cover. Sorry for the long post but I just cannot help to say that not all of cheap 996 and non-PPI cars has a sad story to tell. PPI is still a must but given the asking price for my car back then, it was only several thousand more than a roller so I told my wife, if the engine would grenade at any given point, at least were not too much in deep money.

It has been a little over two years now and the car has been trouble free(knock on wood!). I just do my regular maintenance, and I was one of the first buyers of Jake's IMS guardian as my reman engine was installed back in '06 so it might have a non-serviceable bearing. Next up for me is to replace the water pump and coolant along with a low temp themostat.

I have just been very lucky with my purchase and because of the fear of the so called "death rattle", Im now a proud owner of a good running 996. I feel the PO has deceived me as the check engine light and brake sensor warning light can actually be masked for a few miles by unplugging the battery, but everything is good now, I guess, what can you expect for a 13K 996!

In closing, my opinion on buying a Porsche especially a 996, it's an emotional buy and one needs to get themselves educated on what to expect on maintenance. Issues on M96 needed to be known and most importantly, how much a perspective owner can actually stomach if something catastrophic would happen. Thank you for reading!
I drove 928's for a few years and my neighbor desided he was going to buy a "cheap" porsche. I told him "A cheap porsche will be the most costly porsche you ever buy". He bought an old 924 before he moved away and I didnt see him again for 2 years.

When I saw him about 4 months ago and I asked him about the 924. He just looked at me and said "You were right on, a cheap porsche will be the most costly porsche I buy" I guess it ended up going for scrap, he got so pissed off.

I got lucky I bought my 99 Aero for 16K 3 years ago with 103K miles. A very good price for an Aero at tha time. As soon as it got here it needed its fare share of things although the current owner said it was "perfect".. I put another 4K into it to make it right and the car has been, In my mind fantastic. However if I were not a DIY guy I guess It may be considered by some a problem child. But it now has 142K miles. But I like wrenching and I stick with something....This way I know what I have.. I have had my figers further up my car than I have my wife.

Since 103K the car has had
Horns
Horn button
Water pump
New rotors/ pads
AOS
Front wheel bearing
IMS bearing
Clutch
Charcole rejuv valve
Serp belt
Cruise control repaired
AC recharged
Rear shock replaced
Front lower ball joints replaced

Curretly the Keyfob doesnt work and really doesnt bother me
It also needs a starter and I will get to that this winter.
She has some minor Oil Leaks that I may or may not address this winter

The bottom line, I think people forget how old their car is. My car was built in 98, that makes my car almost 15 years old with 140,000 miles. One of the first to roll off the line I think

I think the car is doing REALLY well for the age and miles.
The car HAS NEVER been to a shop for work. I do it all. It still brings a smile to my face when I stop on the right side pedal and Still get flirty Looks and conversation everywhere I go.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM
gerry100
Pro

Just jumpin' in on this thread but it seems like the heartbreak comes from the dream of owning a 911 for Corolla money.

They used to say that all Porsche's are $20k cars. Updating for performance and inflation maybe 996s are all $30k cars and a hell of a ride for that money.

I bought my 86 3.2 for $18k (83k mi) in 2000 and have spent about $10K on repairs/maint since. I'm sure if I ever sell my cost/mile will be less than a Camaro. For the fun I've had and the memories I've made it will be the best car money I've ever spent

You wanna play, you gotta pay

Quick Reply: 996 Ownership after one year... I'm Out!