Sponsored by:

Cross country tips...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cross country tips...

Granted... I am only going about 1200 miles, but for all intents and purposes... It's cross country. I have no choice but to drive my 40th ae to Fort Collins, CO
from San Diego. Anything I may have missed to prevent damage. I have put on 2 coats of meguiar's 27 yellow high tech wax (with carnauba) after cleaner wax to the hood, front fenders and doors... this is after a coat of meguiar's cleaner wax.. and I plan on using "road wrap" for an additional 2.5 mil protective barrier.
Don't worry, I'll keep it clear of the headlights.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

Last edited by Litesonic; 08-31-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Litesonic
Granted... I am only going about 1200 miles, but for all intents and purposes... It's cross country. I have no choice but to drive my 40th ae to Fort Collins, CO
from San Diego. Anything I may have missed to prevent damage. I have put on 2 coats of meguiar's 27 yellow high tech wax (with carnauba) after cleaner wax to the hood, front fenders and doors... this is after a coat of meguiar's cleaner wax.. and I plan on using "road wrap" for an additional 2.5 mil protective barrier.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks!
I did a 600 mile trip last weekend... don't forget your favorite CD's and some road snacks! Check condition of all fluids (windshield washer, coolant, power steering, and oil), bring a quart of oil or make sure you are topped off before leaving. Sunglasses?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I would join AAA just in case you need roadside assitance. Check your spare tire pressure and make sure you have all the pieces to change a tire if needed. Ie. lug nut lock. A large trash bag comes in handing if a tire need to come into the cab with you.
Radar detector and phone charger.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spare serpentine belt and the correct wrench to compress the tensioner. Fix a flat type sealant in case you can't change to the spare. Gallon or two of distilled water in case of coolant overflow.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

CD's, what are those?

I have done Miami - Daytona twice in my 40th AE and it's a great roadtrip car.
Just follow same you procedure you would with any car i.e. checj, air, fluids, carry fix-a-flat etc and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Also air pump for tires and Boosterpac or similar if you have one. Or at least jumper cables.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Anything I may have missed to prevent damage.
Thanks!
I am guessing the OP's primary concern is the effect of the trip on the paint. The wax job will help some but the wrap or some kind of protection film like this: http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

will work best. Have a safe trip.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

at least two quarts of oil distilled water
Extra coolant cap and ignition switch
tire repair kit to get you to the next tire dealer
http://www.tirerepairkit.com/
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have done lubbock texas to miami, more or less 1800 miles, in 3 days, no problem at all, jsut as comfortable as my lexus

AAA for piece of mind and a tool box in case something would happen but don't worry too much, the forums are scary to read but overall the 996 is a very reliable car.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Anything I am missing?

Thanks!
In addition to the other comments what I do before heading out on what usually is a 4K to 5K road trip (round trip to the mid-west and back) is to arrange to take the car in to my local Porsche dealer for a road worthiness inspection.

Since I have the car regularly serviced so far this costs me nothing and the service manager with the cooperation of the techs always finds the time to fit my car in.

The car is lifted in the air and the tech and I get to walk around and look things over. The tech looks for signs of fluid leaks and tire damage, like a nail/screw in a tire or worn tires, something loose, missing air dams, brake scoops, etc.

Both nails/screws and worn tires have been found. Nails/screws present an obvious problem.

Worn tires present at least two problems. There is of course the reduced grip in wet weather and the other is a worn tire is more likely to pick up something like a nail or a screw.

This was hammered into my head for in one case when I ignored the tech's advice to before I headed out to replace the worn rear tires -- thinking I could nurse another 2K miles out of them then get them replaced in Springfield Mo -- but I didn't even make it to Fresno before the right rear tire picked up not one but two nails and long story short cost me nearly an extra 1K miles and 2 days of driving to turn around and find a dealer (finally in Sacramento) that had 4 tires and could install them for me.

This same trip with nearly new tires (a bit over 1K miles on them, I encountered a heavy snow storm east of Santa Rosa NM on I-40 that had I been on those worn tires my car would have ended up off the freeway. Even though the tires were of course summer/high performance (n-rated Bridgestone) tires they had good enough grip that with my careful driving carried my car and I safely out of the snow.

Besides changes of clothes and other basics, what I take: two credit cards, AAA membership card, car registration and proof of car insurance (some state police can get a bit testy if one pulls you over and you do not have these with you -- don't ask), cell phone, cell phone (and lap top) battery charger, laptop, hand held CB radio, V1 radar detector, two flashlights (away from city lights it can be pitch black), digital camera, extra batteries for the CB radio, camera, flash lights,, paper towels, drinking water, extra quart of oil (which I know will be more than enough for the trip), tire plug kit, tire patch/plug kit, air pump, two scissors jacks, couple of 18" lengths of 2x4's to block tires from rolling in case I have to jack up car on a slope, some small throw pillows, blanket or two (in case I have to spend the night with the car broken down), a baseball cap and an Autralia hat one of which I'll use to keep the sun out of my eyes when driving into or across a low sun.

Full car toolkit and I make sure I have the security wheel bolt socket and I make sure it fits every security wheel bolt.

OTC pain killers, and other medicines. The worst time to need say something for a bad headache is 2am in some small town out in the middle of nowhere. I just shove the contents of my bathroom's medicine cabinet into a small suitcase and that's that.

I don't listen to music so while I have some CDs in the car I never put them on. The ones in the CD changer in the front trunk are probably rusted in place.

I like the sound of the road, the car, the engine and the to me peace and quiet of the open highway.

Last, but not least, a relaxed calm mind set and a pledge to myself to be careful, and to enjoy the drive.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Macster - you are truly the road-tripping king. Very impressive...
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...cash for Vegas, "rest stop."

DON'T Speed for those few miles in AZ north of Vegas. Cops there use timing from high in the cliffs!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Benzedrine, a bottle of 18 year Glenmorangie, and a hooker?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks all!

I appreciate the advice and suggestions.

Look forward to posting from my new haunts.

All the best,
Brian
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, you guys are thorough! Semper Paratus.

3 prophylactics, and that single malt scotch someone else mentioned!

For what it is worth, I've road-tripped in mine for years with no issues. I think a full service before leaving to make sure you are up to snuff and the large garbage bag in case of a tire are the best advice. The other stuff seems overkill to me, at least, but I guess I throw caution to the proverbial wind.

Sounds like your paint protection is in hand, except, obviously, drive well behind and away from large traffic if you can help it.

Most importantly, enjoy the trip. I am making about a 300 mile round trip run later today to get some documents signed that I need to file tomorrow and actually looking forward to the quite time, humming along the roadway.

If you get some time, take a few PICs to share... Something with sunflower kernels all inside the car of bugs on the windshield would be fun!

Take it easy,

JKC

Quick Reply: Cross country tips...