996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's a running 3.6l engine worth.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default What's a running 3.6l engine worth.

Just wondering what one would be worth?

It runs strong (dyno'd with 2 other 3.6l and same results) but there is drive train noise and high oil consumption, probably worn out tensioner pads and worn out value guides.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836

It runs strong (dyno'd with 2 other 3.6l and same results) but there is drive train noise and high oil consumption, probably worn out tensioner pads and worn out value guides.
See what others are asking for similar engines and price your engine accordingly.

Or contact Parts Heaven or Oklahoma Foreign and see if you can get an offer for the engine.

There are other places similar to the above in ads in Panorama and Excellence magazines if you want to call around.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does run strong, but sounds like its sick. Goodluck Greg!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How much oil are you consuming?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
How much oil are you consuming?
Greg,

What is it 1 Liter everytime you fill up Fuel? last you told me

FYI mine consumed 1 liter in 8000km
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Is it in your car? How many miles on the engine?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

It's got 80k miles on it. It goes from top of oil level to bottom approx every 120-240 miles. Yes it's mine trying to decide if it's worth buying a replacement or fixing it.

Thanks Macster
Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

With that much oil burning, there has to be smoke out the back. Do the 3.6s have an air oil seperator?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Yes it has an AOS. I was told it is not my AOS. There is no smoke coming out the back. Only time it does have blue smoke out the back is when it is started from dead cold and the weather is cold. It doesn't last more then a second and once engine is warmed up doesn't smoke unless the engine gets cold again.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

May be worth pulling the plugs to see if you have an offending cylinder(s) causing the oil loss.

Using that much oil, if it is going past guides or rings you'd think the back of the car would be covered with soot or residue.

I know you just asked for a value.

Good luck with what ever you pursue.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't really put a value on it w/o leakdown and compression tests; I would bet scored cylinders.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Sounds like you have a good running engine with some excessive wear.

Solution A: rebuild with LN 3.8 sleeves etc.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going through a *lot* of oil, there really is only 3 possibilities.

1. Your burning it - Smoke should be present
2. It's still in there - intermix
3. It's leaking out - Should be signs of leaking under the engine

Porsche worked tirelessly to eliminate the oil gnomes that used to siphon oil out of 911's....so it's got to be one of those 3 !!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

It's got 80k miles on it. It goes from top of oil level to bottom approx every 120-240 miles. Yes it's mine trying to decide if it's worth buying a replacement or fixing it.

Thanks Macster
That is a large amount of oil going through the engine.

I assume though you are sure there is not an oil leak? I would think oil would be all over something in this event but be sure you give the car a thorough check for an oil leak, for that is not always the case.

I had a Mustang that leaked oil out a driver's side camshaft cover. There was no oil under the car. The oil only leaked after the engine got hot and for a short time after I shut off the engine. I only noticed the leak from the overpowering hot oil smell that arose from the hot oil dripping down on a hot exhaust manifold. This heat vaporized the oil and created the smell. Once though after the mech. 'fixed' the leak it got worse and I could see faint wisps of oil vapor curling up from between the hood/fender gaps. I was hoping the car would catch fire and burn up but it never did, darnit.)

If you are confident there is no oil leak I'm at a loss to explain how the engine can run so good, not generate any misfire error codes, no exhaust oil smoke, burning this amount of oil.

But maybe the converters are working overtime? Something is I guess.

Have you pulled the plugs? I would have to believe with this much oil being burned the plugs would show signs -- and maybe not all plugs -- of this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster
That is a large amount of oil going through the engine.

I assume though you are sure there is not an oil leak? I would think oil would be all over something in this event but be sure you give the car a thorough check for an oil leak, for that is not always the case.

I had a Mustang that leaked oil out a driver's side camshaft cover. There was no oil under the car. The oil only leaked after the engine got hot and for a short time after I shut off the engine. I only noticed the leak from the overpowering hot oil smell that arose from the hot oil dripping down on a hot exhaust manifold. This heat vaporized the oil and created the smell. Once though after the mech. 'fixed' the leak it got worse and I could see faint wisps of oil vapor curling up from between the hood/fender gaps. I was hoping the car would catch fire and burn up but it never did, darnit.)

If you are confident there is no oil leak I'm at a loss to explain how the engine can run so good, not generate any misfire error codes, no exhaust oil smoke, burning this amount of oil.

But maybe the converters are working overtime? Something is I guess.

Have you pulled the plugs? I would have to believe with this much oil being burned the plugs would show signs -- and maybe not all plugs -- of this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Well I have burnt through cats every 1.5 year per side since the car was new. 8 years later once the 200 cells cats went on after warranty ended I havn't had to replace them yet.
I'd say they doing their job. No oil leak and no sign of smell.

Plugs were replaced and looked like 5 out of 6 had excessive build up of carbon. They only had 14k miles on them if that. #4 cyl looks scored but I get no mis fires or check engine light.

Quick Reply: What's a running 3.6l engine worth.