Sponsored by:

Sloppy transmission shifter arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sloppy transmission shifter arm

My shifter is feeling very sloppy, but it's originating from the transmission side of the assembly. I circled the problematic part (not sure of the actual name - let's refer to it as the "transmission arm"). When I get under the car, I can pull it side to side and there is a lot of play in the connection to the bell housing. So when shifting, much of the fore/aft motion pushes/pulls this transmission arm before actually engaging the gears, leading to a feeling of disconnectedness.

Is there a way to tighten this transmission arm? Thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by laz74; 08-22-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by laz74
My shifter is feeling very sloppy, but it's originating from the transmission side of the assembly. I circled the problematic part (not sure of the actual name - let's refer to it as the "transmission arm"). When I get under the car, I can pull it side to side and there is a lot of play in the connection to the bell housing. So when shifting, much of the fore/aft motion pushes/pulls this transmission arm before actually engaging the gears, leading to a feeling of disconnectedness.

Is there a way to tighten this transmission arm? Thanks.
Replaceing the trans shifter arm & #17 will help but sounds like to restore new functionality you may have to get someone to fabricate a new bushing & install. Search forums for info.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How difficult is it to replace or shim bushing #17? That would remove most of the play.

Can this be done without disassembling and/or removing the transmission from the car?

Quick Reply: Sloppy transmission shifter arm