996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

location of hydraulic fluid top up

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I solved the top issue. It was nothing to do with the hydraulics of the convertible top. After putting the top into 'service mode position' I found a small arm to one of the flaps of the top had come off. Popped it back in place, secured with a minute spring type clip and all is working fine again.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 AM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you post a picture?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by tedfromohio
Do you mean a picture of the little arm that came away? I see you have a hard top car. It would mean me removing the carpet from the back again to release the securing wires to get the top into 'service mode' but I will if you think that would help you if you have a convertible. Please let me know. BTW the top has been working every time since the fix and thats about 2 weeks ago. It was the arm on the passenger side which moves the small flap of the mechanism. It also works from the key in the drivers door as well. Left and hold to open and right and hold to close the top. Wait until the windows are fully opened or closed to complete the full cycle.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

hi Hurdi,

My car is actually a cab - had the hardtop on for the picture. Don't go to any trouble if it is hard to access. Thought it might be easy.

Ted
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

hi Hurdi,

My car is actually a cab - had the hardtop on for the picture. Don't go to any trouble if it is hard to access. Thought it might be easy.

Ted
OK Ted will do but later on today as I am in a bowling league until late afternoon. No problem mate. BTW it is working and still minus the plastic cover part for the hook which attaches into the front screen. Check to see that both screws are tight under the 'alian' looking eyes of that part near thje inside light switches. Mine was and the top would close and open continuously without fully latching. I tightened them and now its working every time without the plastic covering for the hook. I am waiting for one to be delivered and I will add it to the hook when it comes. Hopefully the top should keep working with the new part in place. If not I will remove the plastic cover.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Ok Ted here are a few pictures of the cab in service mode and the little arm that had come away.
Stop the top halfway and feel under the back end of the painted part for a wire on either side. Pull off the wire each side.

same on both sides.. pull hard on **** end haha.

You can see where the arm came away under the hook part.

Now if you want to go in further you can remove the carpet part by removing the four plastic studs with a prizing from a screw driver. They simply pop out. Then you can see the full workings of the automatic top.Dont forget to attach the wires either side again.

BTW it took all of 5 minutes to do that.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for posting the pics, Hurdi......saving these in my files since I also have a cab (also with a hardtop, like TED)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 AM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Thank you Hurdi - that was very helpful.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Well the plastic cover came for the hook part of the top where it attaches into the top of the wind screen and micro switch. The top has been working without this cover. I decided to put the cover on anyway to prevent metal to metal contact and subsequent marking of the entrance to the micro switch area. I did this without any crazy glue on it so that if it didnt work with the plastic cover in place, then I could remove it. Anyway I cut out the two parts of the circular parts of the cover and slipped the cover on and the convertible top is still working just fine. The plastic cover part made in Germany cost me only $12 delivered to the door. Probably the cheapest fix ever.

Quick Reply: location of hydraulic fluid top up