Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing Failure & Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Markus70
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Bearing Failure & Advice

This is my first time to this forum and I'm looking for some quality advice from Porsche owners. I bought a 2002 Carrera convertible about 2 years ago. It is my first Porsche and loved it from the moment I drove it home. It has only 30,000 miles on it now after the 2 years I have had it.

A couple weeks ago after driving it home, all the oil leaked out of the bottom of the engine onto the garage floor. I had it towed to a motorsports garage and they showed me the metal shavings in the oil pan and educated me on the dreaded IMS bearing and its failure. I was told I needed a new engine. Quite a pill to swallow considering I figured it had only had 30,000 miles on it.

Yesterday I towed it to a more advanced Porsche shop and they removed the transmission and confirmed that the bearing failed and that I do indeed need a motor replacement. Rebuilt motors from Porsche are $20,000 uninstalled.

I would like to know if it is worth it to replace this motor or just sell it as is.

I would very much consider replacing the motor if I knew of a reputable shop to get one from at a fair price. I have looked extensively online at some places and have read horror stories of guys getting ripped off from some of these dismantlers. I really do not have over $20,000 to put back into this and I do not feel it would be worth it to do so. I suppose another option would be to locate a used motor, but I do not want a repeat of this problem.

If the other option to sell it as is and move on, what is the best way to try and sell it? The exterior is in very good shape and the interior was replaced last year with brand new stock seats at $8,000.

Sorry for the long post, any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Call Jake Raby at Flat6. 706-865-1963
Today.

Last edited by fasteddie99; 08-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. To keep the car and fix it or sell it as is tends to be a very personal choice.

From a finance perspective, it is best to cut your losses and run. Keep in mind you car in it's current condition (with every other aspect of the car being perfect) is worth less than $10K.

There are some folks looking for 996s with blown engines so they can make track cars. I don't know if you car would as desirable for that application (being a convertible).

Sorry you didn't find our site before you had a problem.

Good Luck.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you hear any banging or clanging before the oil dropped out on the garage floor? I find this a hard pill to swallow the same as you did. If this had happened to mine I wouldn't go within a million miles of a 996 Porsche again. Sell the carcass and move on. What was the reason the car needed new stock seats last year? Quite honestly I think you are pulling our pissers. First time on this forum with this crap. Hey Mark you can delete this if it suits you. I speak my mind.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Markus70
2nd Gear

Yes, I did hear a clanking as I was driving about 2 blocks from home before the oil dropped out. I wish I had been on this forum earlier and been informed of this bearing. I would have definitely been more proactive to prevent it.

The car needed new seats last year because it was parked outside with the top down and a thunderstorm came through and rained on the seats. Insurance covered the cost.

First time on this forum because I'm curious what other owners would do in this situation. When your in a bad situation you try and reach out to others who may help or assist you. If I opt to put a new motor in, I would love to have a referral to a shop that other Porsche owners are comfortable with and can give a good referral too.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

....um, welcome to rennlist Markus70!

Sheesh...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus70
Yes, I did hear a clanking as I was driving about 2 blocks from home before the oil dropped out. I wish I had been on this forum earlier and been informed of this bearing. I would have definitely been more proactive to prevent it.

The car needed new seats last year because it was parked outside with the top down and a thunderstorm came through and rained on the seats. Insurance covered the cost.

First time on this forum because I'm curious what other owners would do in this situation. When your in a bad situation you try and reach out to others who may help or assist you. If I opt to put a new motor in, I would love to have a referral to a shop that other Porsche owners are comfortable with and can give a good referral too.
If you do decide to replace the motor don't buy a factory replacement. Call Jake Raby at Flat 6 innovations. He has more experience with these engines than almost anyone. I think he mentioned recently on FB that he has reconstructed (don't ask for rebuilt, he doesn't do "rebuilt") starting at $18K.

He has a delivery truck driving all over the U.S. and they can swing by and take your 996 to his shop in GA.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I've got a 4500 mile 2004 996 engine for sale.

On the flip side -- I might be interested in buying your roller as is.

Where are you located?

Either way
PM or email me (mike@lonestarrpm.com) if you are interested,

Mike
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Jackstand Louie
Advanced

As a DIY for a rebuild (reconstruction), does anyone know the parts costs? I would assume, along with the other pieces parts, new valves, and a skilled macnine shop to check the seats and faces.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
I've got a 4500 mile 2004 996 engine for sale.

On the flip side -- I might be interested in buying your roller as is.

Where are you located?

Either way
PM or email me (mike@lonestarrpm.com) if you are interested,

Mike
Nice. Let's seeption #1- buy this engine.
#2- sell your 'roller'...now you have a choice.GL
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jackstand Louie
As a DIY for a rebuild (reconstruction), does anyone know the parts costs? I would assume, along with the other pieces parts, new valves, and a skilled macnine shop to check the seats and faces.
Just depends on how much collateral damage. The valve problems
are pretty easy to imagine.

What is a little more concerning is other collateral damage.

More than likely the IMS tube has been damaged.
It is also possible that the oil pump housing has been damaged.
The far end of the IMS tube rests in a recess of the oil pump.
I have seen when the IMS bearings fail, the tube wobbles
and the hip joint of the far end gets bored out by the IMS tube
damaging both. In extremes -- I could see where the case gets
damaged.

It is also possible that the chain tensioner paddles has been damaged.
You should inspect the IMS sprockets as well.

If the Tube has been damaged -- it has to come out -- which means
you have to split the case.

All possible DIY, but it ratchets the difficulty level several notches.

Then there is the WYIT costs. Although shouldn't be too bad with a 30K mile
engine.

Mike
Attached Images   
Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Jackstand Louie
Advanced

wow. now there's a project. damage to the casing not likely machinable. Probably alot easier to just upgrade the bearing.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Did you hear any banging or clanging before the oil dropped out on the garage floor? I find this a hard pill to swallow the same as you did. If this had happened to mine I wouldn't go within a million miles of a 996 Porsche again. Sell the carcass and move on. What was the reason the car needed new stock seats last year? Quite honestly I think you are pulling our pissers. First time on this forum with this crap. Hey Mark you can delete this if it suits you. I speak my mind.
Lighten up Francis...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

That is actually not case damage you are seeing -- but what's left of the oil pump housing,
it "snapped" at the oil pump oring.

We were able to rebuild this engine post IMS failure.

Mike
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really not sure how in this day and age folks seems to have such a difficulty in finding replacement 996 engines. These guys have been advertising on EBay for ages ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996-...ht_1413wt_1160

$7500 fully rebuilt, fully installed, fully warrantied. Just sayin

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing Failure & Advice