Sponsored by:

P Zeros, is it me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P Zeros, is it me...

Or are they absolutely S#%T in the rain?!
On I-95 today in a steady rain and the car was literally undrivable over 40 mph.
I expected more out of a C4s in the rain, so I'm assuming it's the rubber.
Hell, my SC was way better with Dizzeras on it.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not you....you're tires suck.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Or are they absolutely S#%T in the rain?!
On I-95 today in a steady rain and the car was literally undrivable over 40 mph.
I expected more out of a C4s in the rain, so I'm assuming it's the rubber.
Hell, my SC was way better with Dizzeras on it.
Before moving to Porsches and even since I owned several other cars and ran the tires recommended by the automaker and became spoiled by the grip these tires had in the wet. Oh, various brands of tires too: Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin, Cooper, and so on. However, none of the tires were as high performance as those that come on Porsches.

But I can say with some experience all Porsche summer tires -- well, by all make that Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone -- suck in the rain.

If the road is even damp, I have to slow down, even if the tires are brand new, as was the case upon having my Turbo fitted with new Bridgestone tires installed by a dealer (Niello) in Sacramento and driving from there in pouring rain.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Thanks, gentleman.

I guess it's time for some new tires. I just don't feel comfortable driving that car in the rain. Period.

I'll of course do a search, but any recommendations are welcome. This is a year round (mid atlantic area) daily driver, no track days, enjoy the occasional spirited drive car.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I've had great luck with Michelin PS2s in the rain on the street and the track. Wet track days in a C4 with those were a blast. Very confidence inspiring. I'm on Super Sports now and haven't had them in the wet on the track, but they seem fine on the street/highway.

One of the scariest rides I had in the rain (Toyota Supra) was when I had too much rear toe in. The tires were worn on the inside from the improper alignment and in combination with the toe setting it was downright frightening. Take a look at your tire wear and alignment.

-shawn
Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Those wide rear wheels on 4S can hydroplane quite easily with standing water. My street ruuber is sumitomo presently and they are good in the rain not great. Not sure if any tire will be confidence inspring in heavy rains unfortunately.

Shawn have you compared sumis to PS2s? I cant get myself to spend the PS2 $. And no supers sports in 295 or 305...

Next street tires will be Yoko AD-08. Ive heard good things and with a tread wear rating of 180 they should stick well for DE.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

The bad experience in the rain I mentioned above was with Sumi's (II). I haven't tried them on the Porsche.

Here's a recent comparison if you're interested:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I've had Pirelli P-Zeros on several cars, including my 996 C4S and I've never been happy with them. I won't buy them again. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s and they are much better, even in the rain. I think the PS2 is the best tire I've ever had on my C4S.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks. Im on the sumi 3. Only bought them once and for the $ ill agree with most here - they are a good tire for daily use only. Let em sit and they flat spot. For DE? forgetaboutit...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Thanks, gentleman.

I guess it's time for some new tires. I just don't feel comfortable driving that car in the rain. Period.

I'll of course do a search, but any recommendations are welcome. This is a year round (mid atlantic area) daily driver, no track days, enjoy the occasional spirited drive car.
Thanks

I have Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs on my 2000 C2 and they handle excellent in the rain. The Sumis handle far better in the rain than the MPS2s they replaced, IMHO.

Also, the Sumis perform great in the dry(maybe 8/10ths+ that of the MPS2s) for a great price.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

+996 on PS2's wet, dry and track. Worth every penny.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I am probably the last standard bearer on this Forum for Pirelli P Zero Rosso N4's. That's OK with me since the opinions on tires and oil on this Forum run as wildly and emotionally as politics and religion.

I drove my '99 C2 coupe yesterday in torrential rain for over an hour. Happened again today. Will likely happen again tomorrow. I live in Florida and it is summer.

My current, very well worn, P Zero Rosso N4's did absolutely fine. No handling issues of any kind, even though the tread on the rears is almost a memory, and the fronts are little better. Even through the occasional running water. I did not drive over 60 MPH during this rain. Hydroplanning onset is usually at about 60 MPH. I did not drive below 50 MPH. No need.

I DO clearly recall driving a C4 and a C2 back-to-back at Roebling Road Raceway on a very rainy track day and remarking to myself how poorly the C4 handled in the wet. Note to self: Do not buy a C4 for track events. I was actually quite amazed at the dramatic difference in the C4 pushing (understeering) hard through the wet Turn 3 at speed. The C2 in that same corner and under the exact same wet conditions was completely planted and controllable.

Yes, Pirelli's get noisy as they age. Yes, Pirelli's may get less actual mileage out of a set for street-only use. I have tried many other brands on my car over the past 14 years. I keep coming back to the Pirelli's.

I am a track guy. But I don't want a total track tire. When you read the tests, the P Zero's usually stand near the top in dry cornering. Funny how the newest wondertire always seems to be marginally better in that area when first tested, then sort of slips down the list a position below P Zero's later on after folks have driven them for a while (and the full page advertising for that manufacturer and gone away).

Wide tires suck in heavy rain. ALL wide tires - unless you are driving BigFoot.

I believe that your owners manual, and Porsche factory annually updated recommendations, far outweigh "butt dynos".
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

And for C4 owners - I fully bow to your superior traction and control in Northern States winter weather conditions. All yours. Of course, you would then be using your All Season tires or even Winter Tires.
I don't own any of those here in Florida.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
It's not you....you're tires suck.
+1

Have you seen how Pirelli has taken F-1 racing 2 steps backwards this year?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

The P-Zero is a poor tire in the rain and in the Dry! Several of the other brands listed above are better.

Quick Reply: P Zeros, is it me...