Sponsored by:

remote key getting weaker

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default remote key getting weaker

Hi all, Ive searched the forums and google for answers but the threads that i find never actually pin point the problem and solution for this issue. So Im just gonna ask.

I have a 996 1999

My remote key has been getting weaker and weaker (range wise).
I thought it was the remote battery but i changed the battery and it didnt make a difference.

From what Ive read it could be a number of things:
the battery, fuse, alarm module, head unit installation, etc.

Some info:
The range has always been pretty bad, like 6 feet from the car max. But from what I've read this is normal. Then I installed an aftermarket head unit, and I didn't ground the brown (i think) wire and left it on purpose because I kinda liked having the car honk when I lock it with the remote.

My battery is ok, not great, around 13 when started then goes up to just under 14.

So the question is, what is causing my remote getting weaker? And what can I do to find out and fix it?

Thanks.

Last edited by rednerrus; 08-13-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: i hate typos!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You have described exactly my situation down to the alarm fault from the stereo. I like the beep too. Looking forward to others weighing in here.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you fixed your remote antenna length? This is a well know fault documented in Porsche TSB #9662 "Insufficient Range of Remote Control"

Google it. There are documented procedures on sites such as Renntech with pictures that will get you through this. this will greatly improve your range.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the antenna is inside the drivers side A pillar. I remember removing the outside cover of this and tweeking it to get better range on our Boxster years ago. Search and you may find the details.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cornbread
Have you fixed your remote antenna length? This is a well know fault documented in Porsche TSB #9662 "Insufficient Range of Remote Control"

Google it. There are documented procedures on sites such as Renntech with pictures that will get you through this. this will greatly improve your range.
i havent yet, i ran across that tsb as well and bookmarked it. I am planning on doing that too, but the fact that my remote actually got weaker tells that i need to fix something else first.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have a '99. Mine was doing a similar thing with the range getting weaker, but when I replaced the battery it got much better for a few days, then began getting weak again. After two batteries, it wouldn't even last a day. My problem turned out to be the key head. I replaced it and have had no problems since.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Down South
I also have a '99. Mine was doing a similar thing with the range getting weaker, but when I replaced the battery it got much better for a few days, then began getting weak again. After two batteries, it wouldn't even last a day. My problem turned out to be the key head. I replaced it and have had no problems since.
hmmm i hope my indy gives me a new key head under warranty..

Quick Reply: remote key getting weaker