996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I got rear ended today

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're ok. Let us know how things go with State Farm.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to see that everyone is okay. Thank goodness that Porsches are very safe and solidly-built cars- you just proved the point.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airbags are controlled by a microprocessor with a very sophisticated routine that examines accelerometer inputs, speed etc. The program is designed to prevent deploying the airbag when the situation does not call for it. This is particularly important because many accidents have secondary impacts, for example, when a car gets hit and pushed into traffic. If the airbag was not needed in the primary impact, it may be needed in the secondary
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thank you for a no injury experience. You can replace the car and maybe, just maybe, have fun doing so!

Best of luck
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 172 Posts

wow great to hear you are ok. Was he on the phone or something?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

You are very calm about this, many others would have reacted a lot more "excited".

I almost got smoked last Friday afternoon, was stopped for about 5 seconds at the off ramp as the third car, all of a sudden I hear tire squealing approaching from somewhere behind me, looked up quickly in the RVM and saw a few cars coming up from behind, but I couldn't initially pick up which car was trying to stop, it turned out to be an older VW Passat with brakes nearly locked up skidding towards me while trying to stay in the radiused lane of the off ramp, I slam the car in first gear and nearly jumped on the gas to shoot the car off to the left to get out of the way.

Fortunately he managed to stop just in time without hitting me amidst a cloud of tire smoke, he later changed lanes and stopped a bit ahead of me in traffic when I noticed he still had winter tires on the car..........

He completely avoided eye contact, probably because I was shaking my fist at him when he had first stopped behind me barely missed hitting me.........
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was too busy to make eye contact....wondering where he was going to get some fresh shorts.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM
David Wilson
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Not much to report yet. I`ve got a rental car, but still waiting for the adjuster.
State Farm is trying to make this as painless as possible so far.

David
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A car got smoked spectacularly by a dump truck right in front of me today at just over 60MPH, I think both were changing into the same lane at the same time from either side of the empty lane, althought I didn't see the car as it was on the other side of the dump truck from me, the car must have been about parallel with the front of the truck.

I heard a light impact, and a fraction of a second later the car went spinning across the front of the truck and in front of my lane, he must have done a couple of donuts one way and a whole bunch of major fish-tailing before getting this Chrysler Sebring under control, didn't hit the concrete medium although he came close, what a piece of driving!! I had about 30 feet of clear space in front of me when the car first spun around the truck, the driver behind me slowed down quickly allowing me to also slow down rapidly to avoid any contact with the spinning car, there were no debries either, just a couple of truck tire marks on the side of the car and a deflated rear tire from the spin-out. No injuries to anyone involved.

I pulled off with them and waited for the Provincial Police to arrive and gave my statement, everything went normal other than I noticed the nice lady cop has a .223 M-16 Carbine between the two front seats, the 30-round translucent polymer magazine was in the rifle and full loaded with bullets. I didn't think things have gotten that bad in the Toronto area?! I made a comment about the AR and she chuckled and said it was her "Hat Holder".

Have no dash-cam else it would have been a great piece of footage.

Last edited by aviography; 08-15-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
David Wilson
Instructor

Okay, the car was not totaled , So the insurance company is going to pay to put it back in shape. More info later.
David
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
David Wilson
Instructor

Cornbread, I sent You an e-mail
David
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Make sure you get diminished value which should be significant.

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 08-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad .. if it is fixable, +1 for making sure insurance covers lost resale value. This will show up in carfax if you try to sell later, making that much harder to do ....
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

sorry to hear that.

Doesn't look like the lexus was doing 65mph at the time of inpact though or it would likely have been far more severe.

As to diminished value...good luck. I've found this to be an extremely difficult thing to do.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Really, my experience went like this.....

Wdc- "...and what about diminished value"

Other person's insurance co-"we cannot proceed on that until after the repairs have been made".

A couple of weeks after the repairs were made the insurance company sent me the appraiser's assement and a week after that a diminished value check.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sorry to hear that.

Doesn't look like the lexus was doing 65mph at the time of inpact though or it would likely have been far more severe.

As to diminished value...good luck. I've found this to be an extremely difficult thing to do.

Quick Reply: I got rear ended today