Sponsored by:

996 noisey steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 noisey steering issue

Hi guys, I have an '02 C2. Of late, the steering is getting noisey & worse. Perhaps heavier as well. Everytime I turn the wheel, you can hear rubber rubbing sound @ the bottom of the steering wheel's shaft which is irritating.

My workshop told me that it's a worn waterpump which is leaking a little & somehow is affecting the power steering pipe? So, I'm supposed to be looking out for a new waterpump.

Has anyone come across such issues with 996? The front & rear steering rods, links, shocks were all replaced just few months ago. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know why a water pump would affect your power steering, other than being driven by the serpentine belt.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Jackstand Louie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 'leaking water pump' trumps all. I would fix that first then find the noise later. The leak is meant to be an early warning....you dont have long. Did you change the inner tie rods in all that work?

Last edited by Jackstand Louie; 08-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by NineEleven
Hi guys, I have an '02 C2. Of late, the steering is getting noisey & worse. Perhaps heavier as well. Everytime I turn the wheel, you can hear rubber rubbing sound @ the bottom of the steering wheel's shaft which is irritating.

My workshop told me that it's a worn waterpump which is leaking a little & somehow is affecting the power steering pipe? So, I'm supposed to be looking out for a new waterpump.

Has anyone come across such issues with 996? The front & rear steering rods, links, shocks were all replaced just few months ago. Thanks.
How the power steering pipe would be affected by a water pump I'm not sure.

If the water pump is leaking, and if with the belt removed the water pump pulley/shaft has play, and another clue that something in the accessory drive system is acting up is if the belt has a sharp edge (or two), the water pump should be replaced and the cooling system refilled -- using the vacuum filling system would be my preference.

How is the power steering fluid level?

If low this can be arise from a high pressure valve in a pump line failing and feeding (too) high fluid to the rack. This forces fluid out the rack seals and into the space between the seal and its dust cover.

Generally the first sign the driver has is the noise. The noise comes from the power steering pump having run low on fluid too long is bad.

So, the power steering pump, lines, and the rack, all have to be replaced.

If the power fluid level is ok, then I always think of last thing to be touched is the first thing to be suspected and the work that was last done on the car happens to be in the steering area. I'd want to be sure this is all ok.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 996 noisey steering issue