996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Going Electric with my 996!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's time! I dropped the car off last week to begin the conversion process! Step one, bring the car to a Porsche mechanic for a once-over so we can sell the removed parts. I'll have video of the car running shortly. Here was the Porsche mechanic's findings (copied from an e-mail from electric conversion mechanic):
--------------------------------
The Porsche mechanic was very interested in our project and actually gave me > 1 hour if you include the drive. He noticed several things that were not related to the engine. For example, the fluid filled engine mounts often fail and he noticed this due to a vibration that he pointed out to me on a test drive. The left rear shock is shot as evidenced by the fluid leaking out of it -I do have a few pics I'll send you. He said the car looked very clean underneath. Never been bottomed out. He said most of them that he see's have been bottomed out at one time or another. There was an oil breather leak, but none of the little things we looked at are of concern for an engine buyer. The service work that he noticed, was done well, with European parts. Even simple things that had been replaced, like high quality hose clamps... There is no audible or external evidence of the dreaded bearing failure, however - he said anybody planning to use the engine would be nuts not to swap it out for the ceramic bearing while the engine is out. Nothing you didn't already know.
----------------------------------

SO here is a list of what I know will be removed and will be for sale... if there's something you're interested in that you think we might remove as part of the process, let me know what you're looking for!
- 3.4 Engine, 122K mi
- OEM 18" Turbo Look wheels, newer (2.5K mi) Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires
- OEM stock rear light housings
- Parts associated with heater
- All Exhaust parts
- Radiator and associated parts
- 4 Spoke steering wheel and airbag (grey)
- OEM Stereo (cassette), hifi amp, OEM speakers, hifi sound dash unit and related parts
- I'm sure there will be much more!

Let me know what you might be interested in and make me an offer on price.

As the car gets disemboweled over the next two weeks, I hope to have more photos and info!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Any updates on this
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm. OK but hows it going to be faster than a gasoline 996?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Electricmotor's have load's of torque thru the rev range
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Electic motors don't have a torque curve, they have a torque line. From the moment you hit the go pedal you have max torque available.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
alpine003
Banned

Well if Fiero's can do 9sec 1/4 mile times than I think it's safe to say that speed issue isn't really a concern.

Looks like there's a Boxster that already has a conversion: http://www.evalbum.com/4393
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
rustymon
Banned

Thanks for checking in on this. Well, the project is taking far longer than I had hoped - but what doesn't? My partner in the project who is really doing the majority of the work was expecting to move into a new shop. So, things are a bit slower in the garage...

That said, the car has been disemboweled... the motor has been removed as have several other items. We've finalized the amounts of batteries, the motor controller and other parts, many of which are on order. One fly in the ointment has been the motor/clutch/transmission adapter - we had expected to order it from someone who had it listed available online. After ordering it, they came back and said it wasn't available and none had ever been built... but they'd be happy to fabricate it if we sent them all the critical specs and dimensions... how kind!

This adapter is extremely critical as it aligns features that position the motor shaft to the plate, and the plate to the transmission shaft. The better quality designs, also have a bearing installed near where the motor & transmission shafts align. They must be very concentric or damage to the motor and transmission bearings result due to vibration. Many of the manufacturers weld up steel plates and spacers, which run a miss-alignment risk unless alignment features are machined after welding. It turns out someone else is building a similar project with the same transmission and motor, and we're working with them to fabricate something which should be ideal. Time will tell.

Delays provide some benefits... a new Battery Management System that is more programmable via a computer interface and with CES out of the way there will be some new stereo goodies that I'll add in that I wouldn't have if it were done earlier!

I've planned on commenting and updating much more here, but with the delays, I didn't feel much was newsworthy at this point... you can expect much more... soon!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:19 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

There is a electric 996 in San Antonio
and I know of an EV guy using Boxster Trannys in Colorado Springs....

They might be able to hook you up on the coupler front if your current choice doesn't pan out.

I've got a guy a work with who built his own electric Jeep and is a wealth of knowledge as well.

Mike
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Redbarn
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work, keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rusty, what is the projected cost of the conversion and what was the reason if you dont mind?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Rusty, what is the projected cost of the conversion and what was the reason if you dont mind?
I was actually thinking of doing a conversion on my CRX last year.

For that car's weight, I would be using a 9" motor and based on 120v system here was the rough cost breakdown:

~ $2k 9" motor
~ $1k for breaker/monitor/associated electronics
~ $2k for 15 NiH Golf Car Deep Cycle batteries
~ $500 for custom tranny adapter and modification of stock mounts.
~$500 to modify rear trunk area and weld in custom battery holder.

So at least around $6k when it was all said and done assuming no other problems come up.

Additional costs would be getting different suspension to handle the extra weight(estimated to be 800 lbs over the stock weight including accounting for the loss of stock engine/hvac weight) and also finding some sort of electric heater.

They have Boxster kits available starting around $7k as a reference.

Reason why I haven't gone this route with the CRX is the fact that I get 50mpg non hybrid already. Adding 800 lbs will make it handle worse, including braking. Won't realistically be able to drive it in the winter. Cost per mile is like $.12 including oil change and tune up VS. ~$.19 going electric.

However there is a Government Conversion rebate credit up to $4k in my state so that is somewhat of an incentive. I have to see if it's been renewed for 2013.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't really know what you meant by the title...so curiously I clicked on the thread and read your post. Awesome mod...please keep up posted on your progress. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
rustymon
Banned

Well, I hesitate to admit how much will be poured into this... but I'm looking at about $30K - $20K in parts and $10K in labor when all is said and done. Hopefully I can defray those costs some by selling the motor and other parts we won't need any more. (Anyone need something?)

I purchased the 996 convertible with this project in mind - I wanted to build a no-compromise electric car. I didn't have the $100K+ for a Tesla Roadster, and although I know if I wait another 5-10 years there might be something high-performance in my price range I could buy new, but I wasn't willing to wait. Of course, I thought I could build something for around $30-$35K all in, but that was not to be... Somehow I had to do a 911 and a convertible to boot, so now, after including the cost of the car, all upgrades that I've done and the conversion, I'll be over $50K for sure.

The battery pack will cost just over $12K - not only will this give me 100+ miles of range (if driven gently) it also allows us to pour a ton of power into the motor at one time to increase performance. We're now looking at 90 100Ah cells which should produce a conservative 1600 Motor Amps at 160 Motor Voltage... it may even be able to push 2100+ Motor Amps!

Of course, with all this power, other upgrades are necessary - a new clutch to handle the additional torque, some suspension upgrades, etc. Also, I am doing my best to integrate the system with all of the cars gauges etc. I'm not just slapping a cheezy digital readout to the dash - I'm working to ensure that the fuel gauge shows battery charge level, etc. The completed car will have, hopefully, a show quality finish with battery compartments and components all neatly (and safely) wired.

I can't wait to finish... but so much of life keeps getting in the way. It's been 3.5 months since a last drove the car... and I miss it!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Rustymon, don't know if you've checked with your state for any federal credit you might be able to get back for an electric conversion. In my case, my state offers to compensate 80% of any cost of labor and parts up to a $4k limit.

Obviously in your case it won't make a big dent but every bit can count nonetheless.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

out of curiosity, what are you doing for power steering?

Quick Reply: Going Electric with my 996!