Sponsored by:

Double Din bezel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Double Din bezel question

I'm finally jumping into the 21st century by adding navigation to my 2001 C4. There are several good threads regarding mounting double DIN headunits, but I still had a couple of quick clarifying questions. Mainly my question has to do with fitment of cup holders.

I've found a bezel made by Metra aka Connects2go which is specific to the 996 without cupholders. Easy enough, I'd have to remove my existing headunit and my cupholders and away I go. I don't use them often but it would be nice to have cupholders.

Several people have recommended this bezel/mounting kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-05-PORSCH...item336dae5bda

Which seems to fit with the newer cupholders (rotate out instead of slide out like mine). Does anyone know if the newer cupholders can be retrofitted into 2001 models?

The ebay kit linked above seems to be an assembly of several other peoples parts (primarily Metra). Does anyone if the bezel they use is the same as the Metra unit?

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure about the cup holder issue, but that's the same setup I used on my 03 and it turned out great. Lon at Euro Motorspeed is very helpful as well. Email him with your question. I am sure he knows the answer. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure I can answer your question but I just got that kit in the mail to install my double din and the quality is top notch. Glad I went with it!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Here's a few (crappy) pics of the finished project.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. I was thinking about the same unit.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

That does look good...damn it, I might have to swallow my annoyance and pay the $160 for the kit.

Just as a follow up, apparently you can't switch out the cupholders unless you also change the vents and horseshoe. I'll probably just live without cupholders like generations of P-car owners before me.

I'd love to know if the bezel in that kit is from Metra like the wire harness.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Just as a follow up, apparently you can't switch out the cupholders unless you also change the vents and horseshoe"

I think that you are correct. The vent is narrower or up higher on the 2002 and up cars which allows for the swing out style.

I would like to do what you are doing also but went with the floor aftermarket cup holders for now. Keep in mind all that liquid right above your nice double din radio

I tried putting the pop out cup holder in the area where the CD STORAGE unit is but it did not even come close to fitting.

Now I am thinking about pulling the CD holder and coming up with something to hold my IPhone internally but easy to take out.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

FWIW - the cup holders in the 2002+ cars suck. I hardly ever use mine. You aren't missing much.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 AM
dotframe
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
FWIW - the cup holders in the 2002+ cars suck. I hardly ever use mine. You aren't missing much.
No way man! I use mine just about everyday
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to put a cup of hot liquid, or filled with carbonated drink right above your new $600.00 beautiful stereo? Porsche engineers never figured out a good place to put cupholders. Amazing! Every place they tried was bad. over the stereo, in front of vents...etc.

But the Ultimate cupholder is fantastic and solved all the problems for cupholders for me. And they look great too. Anyone who poo poo's a cupholder in a Porsche needs to get real. Everyone who uses their car in the real world drinks in the car and needs a secure place to hold it. Were not racing all the time. (I have no interest in the company just a happy owner)

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Those German Engineers knew what they were doing. Because they put the cup holder directly in front of the air vents, my coffee stays warm in the winter with heater on, and my beverage stays cold in the summer when I run the AC.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the original question about Metra bezel is still not answered is it? Just curious as I see Porsche written on top of the Bezel and on eBay below the Bezel and not sure what Bezel is what
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barlowdo
So the original question about Metra bezel is still not answered is it? Just curious as I see Porsche written on top of the Bezel and on eBay below the Bezel and not sure what Bezel is what
I had the same question when mine arrived. Wasn't the same as the pic on eBay from Euro Motorspeed. I must say, I like the PORSCHE logo on top better IMHO.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 AM
dotframe
Pro

Just got mine in and it has Porsche on the top.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

I ended up ordering the kit from Eurospeed. I asked him directly whether or not the bezel was from Metra and he didn't answer directly. He stated that every part of the kit was custom designed to optimize fit and look. That may mean he buys Metra bezels and has "Porsche" printed on it, or it may mean he custom molded/machined his own solution. When it arrives I'll check it thoroughly for any indication one way or the other. The only Metra bezels I could find for sale were from UK Ebayers and I really didn't feel like dealing with an international return if I didn't like the look.

Quick Reply: Double Din bezel question