Sponsored by:

Engine fault codes for 2002 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
jonhums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine fault codes for 2002 C4S

I have had excellent reliability from my purchase of two years ago and increased my confidence with the recent installation of the IMS guardian system. I have searched the forum for a list of the engine fault codes that are available for my car, but did not find such a list here in the forum. Two questions:
1. Where can I access the full engine code list? and 2. How do I read out the stored codes from the computer (OBD2?).
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jonhums
2. How do I read out the stored codes from the computer (OBD2?).
You'll need to purchase a Durametric cable.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I have had excellent reliability from my purchase of two years ago and increased my confidence with the recent installation of the IMS guardian system. I have searched the forum for a list of the engine fault codes that are available for my car, but did not find such a list here in the forum. Two questions:
1. Where can I access the full engine code list? and 2. How do I read out the stored codes from the computer (OBD2?).
Join renntech and it has a section which lists all or a lot anyhow of the error codes for your car and its DME version.

The problem is Porsche is very tight lipped and does not make this info available so unless someone has bought and reverse engineered a PST2 or maybe a PIWIS every public list will be incomplete.

But the lists on renntech appear to be the most complete.

(Even for those codes that are defined by SAE/ISO the list runs into pages. Visit the SAE web site and consider buying the latest edition of "On-Board Diagnostics for Light and Medium Duty Vehicles Standards Manual (I have the 2010 edition). Its section on OBD2 DTCs that start with P/U/B runs from page 543 to page 655.)

To read any stored codes -- stored along with CEL being illuminated -- or any pending codes (or permanent -- ones that can only be cleared by the DME when it detects the trigger error condition absent for the necessary number of engine starts/warm up cycles) -- you can buy an OBD2 code reader. The reader can read the codes but may not be able to offer any interpretation of them since some are manufacturer specific and as I mentioned about Porsche just doesn't make these public.

These code readers can be had for around $100 (though read codes is about all these lower priced tools will do) or you can go to the Durametric which costs (WAG) several hundred dollars and comes with some restrictions -- IIRC how many vehicles you can use it on.

Higher priced code readers offer data viewing and data logging too along with menus to activate some of the on-board tests like those for the O2 sensors.

Handy.

I bought an Actron unit -- paid over $200 IIRC -- some 12+ years ago and it has paid for itself many times over. Many many times.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
jonhums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhere I recall seeing a thread here that referenced the set of switches on the light console above the rear view mirror as a way to access the codes. Am I dreaming this are is there a method to get fault code readouts with the right series of actions with these switches?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Somewhere I recall seeing a thread here that referenced the set of switches on the light console above the rear view mirror as a way to access the codes. Am I dreaming this are is there a method to get fault code readouts with the right series of actions with these switches?
See post #2. They are about $200 IIRC.

Quick Reply: Engine fault codes for 2002 C4S