Sponsored by:

Question for tire experts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:53 PM
yoopmqt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for tire experts...

I screwed up a little. One rear tire got driven with very low air, and wore the sidewall some. Not too bad, but I found a used tire on ebay with roughly the same tread left for a good deal, so I swapped it out.

Here is the problem (and I really, really don't know how the hell I did this) the new one is a 285/35/18 and it should be a 285/30/18. Obviously I have to get this changed, but how crucial is it not to drive my car until I do? It's a C4, so the different diameters I'm sure are not good for the AWD.

Is that a small enough difference to not worry about for a little while? Short trips to work/store?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a tire expert but the only driving I would do would be directly to the tire shop to buy 2 new rears. it's a 911 not a 20 year old pickup truck...
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

The different tires will not rotate the same on the same axle. I would change the tires asap.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires with different aspect ratios will have different sidewall heights so your tires will rotate at different speeds, this will put stress on your differential and that is not a good idea, tires are cheaper! Having said that, unless you have limited slip it would be ok for you to drive to shop for tires, that sort of thing, as the open diff will compensate. Just saying you don't have tow or trailer it if you are worried about damage.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heligear
Tires with different aspect ratios will have different sidewall heights so your tires will rotate at different speeds, this will put stress on your differential and that is not a good idea, tires are cheaper! Having said that, unless you have limited slip it would be ok for you to drive to shop for tires, that sort of thing, as the open diff will compensate. Just saying you don't have tow or trailer it if you are worried about damage.
QFT, it is not good for your vehicle's diff to run two different tire sizes, but since it has an open diff you dont have to worry about it exploding while driving to a shop
Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you could circle track the car mounting the taller tire on the outside side of the turn

Quick Reply: Question for tire experts...