996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

how many miles is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What do you want the car for... garage queen, track events, daily driver?

For a non-dd Porsche that occasionally sees the track, a club run, or a road trip (I just described my own car), lower miles (say, less than 7-10k/yr) is probably a good bet. In terms of paint and interior the car is bound to be in better condition. But for a dd or track car, higher miles may not hurt.

Note also that folks who argue the merits of higher mileage cars usually do their own maintenance.

In the end, it is condition and regular maintenance that rule, not necessarily miles.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the dreaded IMS failure? There are several drivers that report mileage over 100K, but don't mention the IMS.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jjb7
What about the dreaded IMS failure? There are several drivers that report mileage over 100K, but don't mention the IMS.
Do a search, there are 100,000 posts on that topic.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by targa996
I'd get a 996.2 in the 60-80k range ... depends how many miles a year you plan to drive it ... I'm doing 5k .. so I figure in 5 years id get to 80-100k or so .. hopefully no major problems .. and then still some value when I sell it to trade to 997 .... or 981 ....

If you start at 100k and do 10k /yr .. in 5 years you get to 150 and then drive until it dies ... could also be an option .. id just say higher chance of major issue and being stuck at side of road ..

Id avoid a 996 under 50km .. because of higher chance Imo of ims issues and probably premium price ....
Not so.....got mine with 46000 and running great with almost 59000 14months later. I will say, getting an extended warranty on these used cars is a must.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

As for the IMS I am not all to concerned about it. I understand the risk is there with any of these cars from 99'-05' and it can happen in the 06', 07' model years well.

My concern with a higher mileage car is the typical wear items like shocks/struts, gaskets, clutch, water pump, etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It comes down to advice that has been provided many times before:

Buy the newest, most well maintained 996 you can afford.

You can buy a 99 with 120K on it but don't expect the car not to need anything.

The somewhat suttle improvements made to the 02 - newer 996 (MKII) would make me take a MKII with higher mileage over a MkI with lower mileage.

Every car you look at should be evaluted on it's own merrit and then compared to the other cars in your search.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

people get soooooooo wrapped up on the "how many miles" thing.

Its really a question that has no answer. It is really what ever makes it right in your mind, and thats what is important.

Being from the US anything over 100K will be too much for you. why? because thats what dad, media, and all your peers pounded in to your head since you were old enough to listen and understand.

No Im not being rude, but its true. Mileage is a state of mind and a stress point that I let go about 5 years ago when I bought my 928 that had 120K miles on it. I drove it to 170K before I sold it for my 109K mile 996. I didnt drive it becasue I didnt want to run up the miles.... After waking up one day and saying WTF????? after realizing I bought the damn thing to drive it, I mentally let go of the miles thing and I now drive the crap out of my 996. The only reason I know how many miles it has is becasue of oil changes, and insepction and tag re-new. It currently has 150-60K +/- on it. I cant wait to post when I hit 200K.

Be proud of high miles. not ashamed of it.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
people get soooooooo wrapped up on the "how many miles" thing.

Its really a question that has no answer. It is really what ever makes it right in your mind, and thats what is important.

Being from the US anything over 100K will be too much for you. why? because thats what dad, media, and all your peers pounded in to your head since you were old enough to listen and understand.

No Im not being rude, but its true. Mileage is a state of mind and a stress point that I let go about 5 years ago when I bought my 928 that had 120K miles on it. I drove it to 170K before I sold it for my 109K mile 996. I didnt drive it becasue I didnt want to run up the miles.... After waking up one day and saying WTF????? after realizing I bought the damn thing to drive it, I mentally let go of the miles thing and I now drive the crap out of my 996. The only reason I know how many miles it has is becasue of oil changes, and insepction and tag re-new. It currently has 150-60K +/- on it. I cant wait to post when I hit 200K.

Be proud of high miles. not ashamed of it.

i honestly don't get why people buy awesome cars like a carrera and not drive it as much as they can.
the machine is made to be driven, not looked at and preserved.
what exactly are they preserving for?

drive it and maintain it!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjb7
It is my understanding from reading many threads, that the IMS failure usually occurs within the first 50K miles. One of the issues that I was concerned about with I bought my car was the high mileage. Just prior to purchasing my car, I was at a local car show and met a guy selling a really nice '99 C4 cab with 230K miles on the odo. Unbeliveable if you considered the condition of the car. After 30 plus years owning Porsches, I am convinced that preventative maintenance is the key to successful ownership
Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by morganabowen
It is my understanding from reading many threads, that the IMS failure usually occurs within the first 50K miles. One of the issues that I was concerned about with I bought my car was the high mileage. Just prior to purchasing my car, I was at a local car show and met a guy selling a really nice '99 C4 cab with 230K miles on the odo. Unbeliveable if you considered the condition of the car. After 30 plus years owning Porsches, I am convinced that preventative maintenance is the key to successful ownership
+1000 - I live in Missouri where we have 107 in the summer, blinding rain & snow in the winter - the only two seasons we really have ... I plan on driven my c4 grocery getter year round.
She is a liberated garage queen for certain w 37k on the clock. I don't think PO took any care of anything. But it's just shown me the ropes of working on my car sooner than I hoped for.

The dealerships said "Never by a Carrera w more than 80k" this is jack opposite to what forums say.
I'm going to do what I always do anyway - sooner than needed oil changes w the best oil I can find (Mobile 1 in my machbx's case) I am also getting a spin-on filter so I can filter 100% of the oil
Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice, and please keep it coming.

Higher mileage has never really bothered me before (88' 911 had 120K when I bought, 84' 911 had 130K, and the 83' 911 turbo had 55K and it had the most issues from not being driven.) I was really wondering what people are seeing in their 996's in terms of miles and issues as I am till learning about these cars. I have a call in on an 01' C4 with 88K miles and I am looking forward to driving it.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would think, all other things being equal, that the only reason to buy a high mileage car would be to save money. I would also think that the cost to recondition a high mileage car could easily exceed the amount of money saved. So the best decision is to buy the best car you can afford. That might be related to overall mileage, but no doubt also to condition and PPI results.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 817 Posts

I have the odometer "hidden" in my C4S (somewhere around 98k right now, with ~2700 hours or so on the engine according to Durametric). I only care about mileage for maintenance scheduling purposes.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus

i honestly don't get why people buy awesome cars like a carrera and not drive it as much as they can.
the machine is made to be driven, not looked at and preserved.
what exactly are they preserving for?

drive it and maintain it!
Hopefully for people like us! I subrscribe to the I bought it to drive it mentality, but boy is it nice to have cars well cared for by PO's that were "preserved" to be driven fully at a later date, and for dimes on the dollar of the original purchase price. I am still in awe that I can drive one every single day year round.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Bought my 2002 C2 from Rennlist member. It had 157K with all records and lots of work done. Now after 8 months, it has 163K .It has needed NOTHING. Runs and looks new.
I almost bought a '02 with 35K miles, no records, bought at Texas Auction. Happy I didn't. Miles don't mean much!

Quick Reply: how many miles is too many?