Sponsored by:

Some General Speaker Questions for '99 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some General Speaker Questions for '99 C2

First, I'm looking to replace all of the speakers in my C2. The sound is terrible and has no range. I'm no audiophile, but it is amazing how poor the sound quality is for a car that cost >80k when new...I can only hope that this is just what has happened as the speakers aged, and not what Porsche put out as a new product...ok, gripe over.

Anyway, I have a few questions. I am relatively savvy when it comes to speakers, car audio,etc., but have a few questions.

I have the additional door speakers, do not have the BOSE upgrade, and the previous owner upgraded the head unit (although I do still have the original) in a box in the garage.

1. I notice there is a small amp in the trunk. Does this prohibit me from getting any type of speaker? I'm assuming it is hooked up to the back of the head unit through RCA cables?

2. Crutchfield notes that ALL of the 4" speakers that they recommend need to have a "modified fit." What if any type of modifications are needed to get the speakers to hook up? 2a). Also, besides the Focals, any other speakers anyone else recommends

3. Finally, were the speaker hookups available at Best-Buy/Radioshack, or do I need to order a special type of vehicle specific wiring harness? I've never had to do this for any other speakers I've ever replaced, but this is a P-car, and everything seems to be a little different.

As always, any input/info is much appreciated!

Thanks,

DS
Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 996 speakers are rated for 22W each. They are made by Nokia which sold that division. AutoAtlanta still has them.
1. Your aftermarket amp is probably puts out more the 22W. So the speakers are probably blown, hence the bad sound.
2. The OEM speakers are 4 1/4". No commercial speaker will bolt in. I bought some DXI plate speakers that can handle 50W. Haven't had the chance to experiment.
3. The OEM speakers have their own connecter. Save it. Else, standard connectors will have to be spliced in. It's a Porsche, everything is different.

Quick Reply: Some General Speaker Questions for '99 C2