Sponsored by:

Passenger window problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window problems

So I washed the car at my folks place in NY, then drove home to DC (on a really hot day) about a week ago, and now the passenger window is really noisy, making a screeching sound when moving - sounds like the seal is messed up or something got in there...

When I try to raise the window, it reverses and goes down (I assume the control circuit is reversing to avoid overloading the motor based on the resistance and current draw). I can raise it most of the way by pulling up, but it won't stay up when I shut the door.

I'm taking the car to my indy for a "pre cross country drive checkup" in 10 days. Can I fix this window issue, or any thoughts on what I'm looking at here?

Moving to California and driving cross country on 8/1 - don't plan much "window down time."

Thanks,

Lawrence
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

I'd guess you need to replace your window regulator, but I'm not sure...
Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try this before you replace the window regulator.

On the underside of the door are 4 rubber plugs. Remove them and you will see the bottom part of the window mechanism. Look for the 2 plastic pulleys and using an oil can with thick oil, oil the pivots (centers) of the pulleys, on both sides. Run the windows up and down and repeat, it may take a couple of applications.

While you are there, run a thin piece of plastic up through the door drains to make sure they are clean.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like it is doing safety reverse. Probably thinks someone's hand is caught in the window.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Try this before you replace the window regulator.

On the underside of the door are 4 rubber plugs. Remove them and you will see the bottom part of the window mechanism. Look for the 2 plastic pulleys and using an oil can with thick oil, oil the pivots (centers) of the pulleys, on both sides. Run the windows up and down and repeat, it may take a couple of applications.

While you are there, run a thin piece of plastic up through the door drains to make sure they are clean.
Mine is doing the same thing. I'll try this oil ap as well. It has the other issue of not lowering when the handle is pulled but a new inner door latch should fix that. Thank you San Rensho!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a bad regulator, thanks for the input everyone. She's at the shop now, getting an alignment while she's there. Driving to San Francisco in T minus 15 days and counting!

Quick Reply: Passenger window problems