Sponsored by:

What an idiot I am.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What an idiot I am.

And before anyone says "So you only JUST discovered that fact' Let me say that during a final oil top off during a recent full oil change, I THINK the small plastic ring pull from the gallon oil can, fell into the oil filler tube and onwards into wherever the oil goes. (Hopefully the oil sump). If it did, The car has done about 500 miles with no ill effects so far. My questions are:- 1...If it did go into the filler tube, would the heat of the oil melt the very thin small plastic ring pull? 2... Does the oil first go into the sump? 3.. Is it likely that the oil pump would jam up because of this plastic. 4... Would the oil filter catch the culprit (thats if it actually got that far) .. 5.. Would it be easy and advisable to drop the new oil and remove the sump and see if the culprit is actually in the sump oil? 6.. How easy/difficult is it to remove the oil sump? Thoughts please.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I *think* there is a screen to catch stuff like this at the end of the filler tube. This happens a lot, do a quick search if you cant wait for more positive answers.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
I *think* there is a screen to catch stuff like this at the end of the filler tube. This happens a lot, do a quick search if you cant wait for more positive answers.
Hey thanks. I never thought of that. I will get a small vacuum hose and suck it out with the cleaner. If that doesn't work then no worries anyway if that screen is there. I couldn't find anything on the net about the 911 but found that the volvo has a screen in there. I should imagine that Porsche will have thought of that screen and included it in their models.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Happened to me once changing the oil in a '91 Eagle Talon turbo. Had to remove the cam cover, which I then cracked tightening. One of the stupider moments of my life...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Bummer!

I do not think that the engine oil passes anywhere that would get hot enough to melt the plastic. There are plenty of plastic bits and pieces that are part of the oil delivery system that live just fine there. IF it got into the system, it is too big to flow through any of the oil galleys that lubricate the actual engine. Perhaps even the pick-up in the sump is too small a diameter for it to enter (and there is a screen on that, too). If it stayed in the sump, it would be harmless there. And since you aren't even certain it fell into the tube, it might be a frustrating and costly process to drop the sump just to look (all the lost fresh oil, and the new seal required, plus the danger of stripping a thread or breaking a head off one of the many bolts that hold it on).

Now if it was the foil seal that had dropped into the filler tube, I would be a lot more worried.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

The funnel I use has a screen built-in and I never gave it any thought. Now I understand. I hope everything works out for you. Check your pockets. If you're old like me, you may have automatically stashed it there and forgotten about it.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
And before anyone says "So you only JUST discovered that fact' Let me say that during a final oil top off during a recent full oil change, I THINK the small plastic ring pull from the gallon oil can, fell into the oil filler tube and onwards into wherever the oil goes. (Hopefully the oil sump). If it did, The car has done about 500 miles with no ill effects so far. My questions are:- 1...If it did go into the filler tube, would the heat of the oil melt the very thin small plastic ring pull? 2... Does the oil first go into the sump? 3.. Is it likely that the oil pump would jam up because of this plastic. 4... Would the oil filter catch the culprit (thats if it actually got that far) .. 5.. Would it be easy and advisable to drop the new oil and remove the sump and see if the culprit is actually in the sump oil? 6.. How easy/difficult is it to remove the oil sump? Thoughts please.
Buy another bottle of oil and remove the ring and drop it is a pan of water on the stove and heat the water to a boil and see what happens.

Even if it melts this may not be a problem.

You know I'm not sure where the oil filler tube puts the oil: into the sump or some place else. Probably the sump.

If not the sump the oil and the ring will probably go through a scavage pump which will pulverize the cold ring (in the cold oil) into pieces and this oil is then routed to the oil sump.

If the sump there is a coarse screen on the oil pump intake pipe that will catch this piece of plastic. There may be other debris there already.

If the plastic ring in large or small (pulverized) fragments somehow makes it through the mesh it goes into the high pressure oil pump -- which will pulverize the ring into pieces if it is not already pulverized -- and these will end up in the oil filter housing oil/filter element.

You'll see this the next oil change.

If the ring remains in the oil sump it might (now I said "might") be an issue when you drain the oil in that the flow of oil can carry the ring to the drain hole and the ring partially blocks the flow of oil.

However, I think if you pay attention you will spot this happening and with the right tools -- stiff wire with a hook maybe? -- after the oil has stopped running out you can with a bright flash light reach up and hook the ring and gently pull it out the drain hole.

In short I do not think you have anything to worry about and in fact you'll likely do more harm in making some attempt to get at this ring and remove it by partially disassembling the engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Hey you guys you are the best... I am not one bit worried after reading your postings. Thanks a bunch. Well appreciated.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like this could be a good excuse to upgrade to the x51 deep oil pan...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...1-oil-pan.html
Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO- I wish those dam___d rings would go away and never come back
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you use a remote optical scope? Home Depot sells them for inspecting inside house walls. Maybe a neighbor has one?

Paul
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck. Manual reads the oil pick up before the pump is the "oil intake snorkel". Pelican Parts didn't have one listed but LN Engineering has a picture during a deep sump install that shows a screen at the top section of the oil sump pick up.
http://www.lnengineering.com/deepsump.html
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pac996
Good luck. Manual reads the oil pick up before the pump is the "oil intake snorkel". Pelican Parts didn't have one listed but LN Engineering has a picture during a deep sump install that shows a screen at the top section of the oil sump pick up.
http://www.lnengineering.com/deepsump.html
Again good news for me and thanks.

Quick Reply: What an idiot I am.