Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

E-gas with better-heel-toe = SprintBooster ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question E-gas with better-heel-toe = SprintBooster ???

Ok, so I've searched and read all the threads regarding the Sprint Booster but see conflicting views and conflicting compromises (I want better throttle response for heel-toe blipping on the track, but some folks say the Sprint Booster will get you that, but that it also makes the throttle too twitchy on the track when trying to modulate it; I need both to be great!)

Here's my scenario:
On the gas hard while approaching a turn.
Off the gas and right-toe-ball goes on the brake.
When enough speed is scrubbed, left foot onto clutch, roll right foot (while still on the brake) to blip throttle, shift gear, off clutch, right foot goes totally on to gas as I enter the turn.

Obviously this lets my car take a set before entering the turn, but I'm constantly battling with timing cause my throttle blips are not consistent.
Problem is the e-gas throttle mapping is sluggish and slightly non-linear (including the slight dead band in top position), causing the RPMs not to get high enough during my blip, or going too high because I have to leave my foot on it so long while I'm doing everything else.
Never had this problem with my cable-cars, and I'm finally done compromising with this car.

What say you? What solution is there to get better blip throttle response while keeping the throttle modulate-able? Is it really the Sprint Booster still?

(BTW, if anyone has a broken Sprint Booster I'd love the chance to take it apart and see what makes it tick. I'm an electrical engineer and as long as it's not epoxy filled to prevent reverse engineering, I'd love to take a stab at building my own. From what I understand of Egas, it can't be very complicated inside, and $329 is waaaaay steep for what may only be a couple op amps and gain networks inside. I know people need to make a living, but come one, some things are priced absurdly, like charging a Porsche owner $350 for an oil change just cause it's a Porsche. )
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the lack of throttle response while shifting has more to do with the Clutch Delay switch than the E-gas.

I disabled mine and the throttle became much more responsive - livelier blips and immediate power delivery. The only side effect I have encountered has been the occasional (and embarrassing) stalling in bumper to bumper traffic, as it takes some practice to get used to the more sensitive throttle. This mod is free, takes 5 minutes, and is easily reversible - so try it out.

There was a thread on the pros/cons not too far back:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ay-switch.html

Last edited by laz74; 07-02-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM
peavynation
Pro

Hey Laz74, good suggestion. However, I did some experimenting on the way home (and in the parking lot at work), and blipped the throttle without pushing in the clutch and putting in the clutch. Both situations gave the same sluggish response. That said, I'm not sure bypassing the switch will do anything, since the computer should have changed how the throttle responds if the clutch switch actuation made a difference. But I may give it a shot when I have time just in case.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While we're talking about heel toe are there any pedal covers/replacements that make it easier in a 996? I have trouble reaching the gas pedal with any confidence when braking. Maybe I just need more practice.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Joel, I also dislike the sluggish pedal respone when heal toe shifting. Practice certainly helps though. I've had a few wet track days where being smooth became my focus opposed to flat out speed. Seems there is a dead spot if you don't give it enough pedal. But, that leads us to over rev all too often. I think the sprint booster has 3 settings so you will be able to dial in your throttle response preference. Too bad they sell them for $330 cause I would've tried one out already. Let me know if you make a prototype or 2. I'd be glad to help you test it.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
peavynation
Pro

Hey Carey, thanks for the input. I think you're right that a lot of it has to do with practice. I mean we humans can get accustomed to, and compensate for, a lot. Even with non-linear systems, with enough practice our brain can compensate some of that out. Still, I'd much rather practice on something that will yield a quicker learning curve. And I will totally send you a prototype if I ever get to know what's inside one of the originals!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

As a DE instructor for almost 20 years now, I would like to make a suggestion. Nothing more.

I find that most students have trouble with the heel-n-toe thing because they are not wearing the correct shoes. Street shoes and almost all "gym" shoes have large clunky soles that make it virtually impossible to truly feel the throttle and the brake. This includes all of the sports shoes and all of the so-called "driving" shoes one can buy at silly expense to profile around in (I have tried many of those as well and discarded them all as neither good driving shoes nor good walking shoes). It also includes shoes like Sperry Topsiders of which I am particularly fond for my regular daily shoe.

I wear Simpson high-top racing shoes exclusively when I track and they make ALL the difference. I ended up with the high-tops because they support your ankle nicely when rolling your right foot between more gas or more brake with that foot. It makes double-clutching down a total breeze. When I recommend that specific change to students, they come back later raving about how much better they can control the brakes and the gas because of the real racing shoes. Low top racing shoes do not provide any resistance for the ankle to "lean on". It is similar to the better quality of throttle control you get when your right foot is slightly off the pedal and "leaning on" the center tunnel.

However, real racing shoes have an extremely soft sole, like an indian moccasin. They will NOT be good for daily use - their rubber soles will wear out quckly in daily use (like a real track tire), and are also considered to be "gold chainer" stuff if you wear them at non-track events.

I fully realize you are itching to find an electrical engineering solution to your problem. But one of my favorite quotes is, "If your only tool is a hammer, you will see all of your problems as a nail."
Old 07-03-2012, 04:51 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thundertub
As a DE instructor for almost 20 years now, I would like to make a suggestion. Nothing more.
Thanks for the tips. What are your thoughts on waving?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dotframe
Thanks for the tips. What are your thoughts on waving?
Sorry. I can't respond to that one here. I started my post with the words "Nothing more" so I can't run off topic with that here. Perhaps you would like to start a new thread on that.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
peavynation
Pro

Thanks for the input Mark, and I 100% agree. Every Friday I know I'm going to enjoy my drive into work (short as it is) a little bit more because I wear converse on Friday's instead of dress shoes. Still not good, but much more feel than stiff-soled dress shoes. I was planning on getting some good racing shoes soon, but after reading your post I think I'll get them sooner than later.
I've got a decent amount of "tools" in my toolbox, but I tend toward using my favorite ones before going out and buying any new ones. Ha!

Quick Reply: E-gas with better-heel-toe = SprintBooster ???