Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Introducing Roderick's RW6 Porsche specific wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

The amount of laptop racers on this site is hilarious. PSM wasn't designed to work with 19s? REALLY?!

Good lord, people.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair, I had 19's on my 996TT and everyone that drove in my car thought that the ride was fine, and that was with H&R's. Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 PM
CampioniShop
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
If you want to sell wheels to 996 owners on Rennlist then I would suggest that you take all of us seriously. And I looked back at your Forgestar offerings. They were initially only 19" with one 18" example that came later and wasn't Porsche specific (requiring a hub ring and not accepting Porsche center caps).
Look further on 6spd, a interest run was tried for Porsche specific 18" - just re-read what we posted...

We had this reaction many times - "we want 18s". When it's time to put up no one is around and we're talking about mid $1,000 for a set of under 20 lbs Porsche specific wheels. What does that tell you?

Fact is the current 18" Forgestar offerings are the ideal wheels allowing the proper level of customization in regards to widths, offsets and finishes. Track wheels don't use center caps, new lug bolts are a minor hassle that we cover by including a set and metal hub rings simply center the wheel and do not hold it, dismissing most of the myths surrounding these.

We have already sold many sets to 996 owners on the forum, we thank you for your advices.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The amount of laptop racers on this site is hilarious. PSM wasn't designed to work with 19s? REALLY?!

Good lord, people.
Why don't you explain to the class what you think happens when you move the mass of the wheel and tire further toward the perimeter. How do you think that affects acceleration and braking? Or is that too obvious?

The PSM in the 996 was designed around 18" wheels. True story. It won't work as well with 19" wheels.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 PM
madclubman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I see a new thread on wheels, I get excited. Then, ultimately disappointed, as I read "no 18" at this time". To make it even worse, I have a widebody, so even when some 18's come on the market, they normally have the narrow-body size/offsets.
I personally removed the 19" wheels my car had when I bought it and put 18's. That was a very good day!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CampioniShop
ped·dle/ˈpedl/
Verb:

Try to sell (something, esp. small goods) by going from house to house or place to place.
Sell (an illegal drug or stolen item).

Am I supposed to take you seriously?

We tried multiple test runs and interests runs for 18" with the Forgestar F14, a wheel that is cheap, lightest of all the current 18" cast offerings and offers concave profiles.

It was also to be developped with Porsche specific engineering; OE center caps, OE lug bolts, hubcentric.

There were barely a dozen interested, which usually translate into 6 sales. Combine the low interest with an ever decreasing market for 18" Porsche wheels and you have the current wheel market for 996s, very few 18s - mostly outdated designs and a lot of 19s.

If you are looking at track wheels, this is obviously not the thread for you. Our 911 cast wheels market is split 50/50 in the 19" wheels between the 996 and 997.
Nice looking wheels, but you should step away from the keyboard and put your marketing brain on before posting. You lost me...
Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 AM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bingo TRT 41!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I have no issue with a vendor coming in here and offering a product for sale. Our vendors and sponsors sell some great stuff that makes our cars better. I also have no issue with a wheel vendor offering a 19" wheel for the 996, even though I would never buy one. I know that there are lots of people who would (and do) buy 19" wheels for the 996. We can debate 18" vs. 19" endlessly. Everyone has their own beliefs about it, whether based on facts or on anecdotal evidence. It doesn't really matter.

I would also like to see more 18" wheel options and more widebody options. That being said, if a vendor doesn't offer them, that's fine. That's the vendor's choice. He can make that decision based on his own analysis of the market, the potential ROI, etc. I'll just find what I want elsewhere if I'm looking for widebody 18" wheels.

This whole thing isn't a reason for anybody to get too worked up in my opinion...

Quick Reply: Introducing Roderick's RW6 Porsche specific wheel!