996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 engine rebuild just say no

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
dzaprev
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 69 k on my 99 911 and don't have any problems ...should I be worried .
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

between IMS, Ovaling, coolant tanks.waterpumps,and AOS there is a lot to be worried about
Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by p.vanderlinden
Jumper, there is no third radiator in the 40th despite what has been published in some very expensive books. Nore is the exhaust sound package standard.

Hardback, 50HP from 200cc?
I just purchsed a 40th last month and all I can say is if the engine goes, I will not be able to afford the repairs. My fingers are crossed.

Cheers,

Paul
Yes sir, dyno runs before motor was broken in showed rear wheel HP at 327 and TQ at 298. Not too shabby... and yes we decoupled the front drive. Also, you must factor in parasitic loss of about 10%.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
dynojet 3-2-12.pdf (632.3 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by Hardback; 06-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 AM
robss996
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, thanks a bunch for the time you all took to respond to the first time post/first porsche newbie. Well let me tell you, for all of you who haven't your Porsche catastrophically fail you yet, once the dust settles and the reality hits it will be okay. I think for a lot of us/most of us, buying a Porsche is either a childhood dream and/or a desire to not drive the honda, the pontiac, or the hyundai thats parked in your neighbors drive or the spot next to yours at work in the parking lot. Not that all those cars miss a function, had smart people behind there design, and have smart folks driving them. We want something a little different, something maybe a little special ...wanting a little romance for your drive to work and/or the weekend drive is a wonderful thing. My dad had five kids, was the old doctor that would do house calls at all hours, made no more money in the end then the plumber fixing our pipes, devoted his life to his kids and his wife our mom, always had a little thing for cars, never bought a Porsche, would have loved one in another life without five kids, so my little Porsche was about him for me a bit too. The "fear" that some of us Porsche owners have I think is about the, " what the hell was I thinking buying a used slightly older/older Porsche. If it dies, the engine blows, etc., etc., it will not only be the dream crashing to the ground but will be about a stupid, reckless, perhaps selfish decision to buy/own and this is all a, serves you right-reality check. Well I think for most of us this is not the case. Buying a Porsche at least for me was about doing something I thought I deserved, a way to pay me back for hard work, about a lust for life, an appreciation for excellence...even if Porsche perhaps fell short with build quality at times/here and there, and let economics dictate direction. They wouldn't be the first nor the last. So for all of you Porsche drivers that start and drive their cars everyday and/or just the weekends, who are waiting for the curtains to fall, i wouldn't . Do the maintenance to the best of your ability/pocket book, don't worry bout the what if's, enjoy the design, enjoy the the best part's of the engineering and whatever happens happens. A nice metaphor for life! Don't doubt the fact that you deserve it, life should be about celebrating achievement and hard work and or easy work. ( My father happened to be Protestant) L&N looks good, (or perhaps somewhere closer to home although shipping the block in two pieces even from Canada both ways is pretty cheap) go to 3.8 , new pistons, re-sleaved and coated for under 5k, I can live with that, do the bearings, the IMS, do the heads too. Sorry for the ramble, off to bed, thanks again!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 AM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

robss996, my thinking exactly
Old 06-23-2012, 01:15 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Great perspective and attitude, thank you for sharing!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the same way when I made the purchase.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent perspective all the way around! At the end of the day it is a car, a machine. I bought my first 04 after saying for nearly 30 years that "someday" I'd own another Porsche. It was my wife who supported the decision with an "if you can pay for it, buy it, because sometimes someday never comes".

And now we deal with her "somedays" that she may never see as she has Ovarian Cancer. A little off topic - I just got back from three weeks in Tucson for work. My wife actually sent me photos of the cars via text messaging with a note saying " I know you miss your cars so here they are". How sweet. My wife has always loved to plant flowers around the homes, when I got home our property looked stunning - she had planted more flowers, and potted almost as many, than I had ever seen her do in over 25 years. I get it though - this is her someday - she is doing what she loves while she can.

I drive Porsches because I appreciate and respect the engineering, but most importantly because I truly enjoy the heck out of them. I don't care what the neighbors think, I don't care about what they drive or how they live.

In the big picture a Porsche is just a car, and if it breaks I'll get over it, it can be fixed, money can be earned.

Other things..... not so simple.

Make today your "someday".

Drive and enjoy.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

With just 69K miles on your 99 I'd say you have something to be worried about. I have 256K miles on my 02 Boxster and its original engine, complete with unoval cylinders, original IMS bearing, original clutch, etc. Sure I've replaced the AOS two times (the 1st one at 80K miles but I can't recall the miles the 2nd one failed), the water pump (172K miles), fuel pump (200K miles) and the coolant tank (220K miles) and the 'biggie' the passenger side VarioCam solenoid/actuator (230K miles) but the engine is still a good 'un.

What this means to you is you are way behind in your driving. Get off line and go drive your car more.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Wow Macster, those are amazing stats! Congrats on having a great car!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Yup all great advice. After my rebuild I will be doing the 3rd rad and LN Low temp sensor to prevent it from happening again.

heavy tracking requires oil cooler as well if you really want to add longevity to that motor.... I've installed 3rd rad and high-speed fan switch these two mods really bleed off the heat... but I don't dare run it for more than a 30 min session on high speed track...

on tracks where you are mostly 2nd and 3rd gear I limit it to 20 minutes .. MAX....

cooling is mandatory... and despite what is said abut 5W40 I have seen better oil pressure with a 50 weight oil in the hot summer months on the track... I don't think you run any risk of using a 5w50 or 15w50 in the hot summer months from june-august... (i'm in toronto)... because these engines don't do a good job of cooling the heavier weight oil will still flow quite nicely at track temps.... IMHO.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and for the OP...

send off what you have to flat 6 to have it re-done and make damn sure you get your engine put back together by somebody who knows 996 motors. I would thank your current indy for his effort, pay him for his work and find somebody with lots of experience assembling 996 motors. If you want a recommendation PM me as we know a few experts here in the Toronto area; you only want to go through this once... so do it right the first time.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Call Jake at Flat6.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by robss996
Hi all, thanks a bunch for the time you all took to respond to the first time post/first porsche newbie. Well let me tell you, for all of you who haven't your Porsche catastrophically fail you yet, once the dust settles and the reality hits it will be okay. I think for a lot of us/most of us, buying a Porsche is either a childhood dream and/or a desire to not drive the honda, the pontiac, or the hyundai thats parked in your neighbors drive or the spot next to yours at work in the parking lot. Not that all those cars miss a function, had smart people behind there design, and have smart folks driving them. We want something a little different, something maybe a little special ...wanting a little romance for your drive to work and/or the weekend drive is a wonderful thing. My dad had five kids, was the old doctor that would do house calls at all hours, made no more money in the end then the plumber fixing our pipes, devoted his life to his kids and his wife our mom, always had a little thing for cars, never bought a Porsche, would have loved one in another life without five kids, so my little Porsche was about him for me a bit too. The "fear" that some of us Porsche owners have I think is about the, " what the hell was I thinking buying a used slightly older/older Porsche. If it dies, the engine blows, etc., etc., it will not only be the dream crashing to the ground but will be about a stupid, reckless, perhaps selfish decision to buy/own and this is all a, serves you right-reality check. Well I think for most of us this is not the case. Buying a Porsche at least for me was about doing something I thought I deserved, a way to pay me back for hard work, about a lust for life, an appreciation for excellence...even if Porsche perhaps fell short with build quality at times/here and there, and let economics dictate direction. They wouldn't be the first nor the last. So for all of you Porsche drivers that start and drive their cars everyday and/or just the weekends, who are waiting for the curtains to fall, i wouldn't . Do the maintenance to the best of your ability/pocket book, don't worry bout the what if's, enjoy the design, enjoy the the best part's of the engineering and whatever happens happens. A nice metaphor for life! Don't doubt the fact that you deserve it, life should be about celebrating achievement and hard work and or easy work. ( My father happened to be Protestant) L&N looks good, (or perhaps somewhere closer to home although shipping the block in two pieces even from Canada both ways is pretty cheap) go to 3.8 , new pistons, re-sleaved and coated for under 5k, I can live with that, do the bearings, the IMS, do the heads too. Sorry for the ramble, off to bed, thanks again!
Hey Rob, Welcome to Rennlist! wish the circumstancee were better!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
heavy tracking requires oil cooler as well if you really want to add longevity to that motor.... I've installed 3rd rad and high-speed fan switch these two mods really bleed off the heat... but I don't dare run it for more than a 30 min session on high speed track...

on tracks where you are mostly 2nd and 3rd gear I limit it to 20 minutes .. MAX....

cooling is mandatory... and despite what is said abut 5W40 I have seen better oil pressure with a 50 weight oil in the hot summer months on the track... I don't think you run any risk of using a 5w50 or 15w50 in the hot summer months from june-august... (i'm in toronto)... because these engines don't do a good job of cooling the heavier weight oil will still flow quite nicely at track temps.... IMHO.
Is that oil cooler the one fron LN? It switches out the OEM one that actually is a oil warmer for heating up the oil quickly for those winter days.
The fan switch operates which fan?

I don't know for sure but I think I may have over heated the engine not on the track but coming back from the track. It was a very humid day and hazy. Sitting in dead still traffic on the 401. I saw the temp gauge raise above past the 80's zero "0". but it stayed there for 60 seconds or so and then dropped down again when the car started moving again. It also did this again not long ago when I was stuck in traffic again. The first time though I think a saw a flashing light but it went away when the temperature dropped, no flashing light the second time but it was scary looking at the gauge going up and not being able to drive anywhere to get air flowing.

Quick Reply: 996 engine rebuild just say no