Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fister D's Arrived! Now..who should do the install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Darin has the mufflers now. For giggles I started the car without the mufflers on. It was pretty neat sounding.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Darin has the mufflers now. For giggles I started the car without the mufflers on. It was pretty neat sounding.
Dont be a ninny, go drive it like that. It is pretty awesome feeling the whole car shake as you open cat pipe it. Do it.... Do it now...
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineEreven

Dont be a ninny, go drive it like that. It is pretty awesome feeling the whole car shake as you open cat pipe it. Do it.... Do it now...
I wish. I had to take bumper cover (with the license plate) and a heat shield off to vet the driver side muffler off. Getting a ticket for no plate and no mufflers would kind of suck.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish. I had to take bumper cover (with the license plate) and a heat shield off to vet the driver side muffler off. Getting a ticket for no plate and no mufflers would kind of suck.
bumper takes 3 seconds to put back on and its worth it. as for no muffler ticket, you in cali? Im srue you could get away with 5 minutes of driving without a muffler.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Mine have arrived from Fister. I need to buy new nuts and bolts so I can install them. What material is my best option? Stainless?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Either stainless or just put some anti-seize compound and you should be all good.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Bumping this thread as I am about to start the removal to ship to Fister. I hit the bracket bolts with PB Blaster this morning; anything else going to need a shot of PB Blaster or will the rest of them come out pretty simply?
And a mere 50 days later, they are on. Other than a quick jaunt around the block I haven't gotten to test it out, but from what I can tell, I'm gonna like it.

Thanks to all for the support and tips along the way.

My lessons/take away:

1. If you see a ton of rust on the exhaust hardware and you don't have a complete set of tools, take it to a shop. It can be done, I'm living proof, but you'll thank me.

2. Make sure the tip clamps are tightened down before you install the mufflers. Mine were not, so I had to take off the heat shields to get to the clamps.

3. There is really no better satisfaction than that from doing a job yourself.

4. Final count -- 2 cat to muffler clamp bolts cut, two came off with some PB Blaster. 5 of the nuts holding the brackets to the mount came off, 1 had to be cut off. 3 of the long vertical bolts holding the bracket to the muffler came loose, one had to be drilled out. 1 muffler bracket now has a decided "C" shape and had to be replaced. 7 of 10 knuckles skinned, bumped, bruised or otherwise damaged.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a cruise through a canyon, overpass or a parking garage and hit that right pedal and see what you think. The FisterD mod is the best thing I've done to my car for sheer enjoyment (not to be confused with must do maintenance).
Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

And a mere 50 days later, they are on. Other than a quick jaunt around the block I haven't gotten to test it out, but from what I can tell, I'm gonna like it.

Thanks to all for the support and tips along the way.

My lessons/take away:

1. If you see a ton of rust on the exhaust hardware and you don't have a complete set of tools, take it to a shop. It can be done, I'm living proof, but you'll thank me.

2. Make sure the tip clamps are tightened down before you install the mufflers. Mine were not, so I had to take off the heat shields to get to the clamps.

3. There is really no better satisfaction than that from doing a job yourself.

4. Final count -- 2 cat to muffler clamp bolts cut, two came off with some PB Blaster. 5 of the nuts holding the brackets to the mount came off, 1 had to be cut off. 3 of the long vertical bolts holding the bracket to the muffler came loose, one had to be drilled out. 1 muffler bracket now has a decided "C" shape and had to be replaced. 7 of 10 knuckles skinned, bumped, bruised or otherwise damaged.
Very good advice. I got under the car once mine arrived (I did not send my originals in for modification - one of you probably has them now) and quickly realized what a hard and nasty job it would be, mostly due to corrosion. My shop then did the work, and it took them much longer than projected. We replaced all of the hardware. It was of course more money than I had budgeted, but it was done right and well.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

DT CUDOS for your PERSIVERANCE

Quick Reply: Fister D's Arrived! Now..who should do the install?