996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Smart Top or Not Smart Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
otto06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have just the remote top? I would love the one button from the smart top but my 04 can already open/close while moving. Being able to hit the key and having the interior alarm on while the top is down seem like worthwhile mods though?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 04 as well. If I could only have one of the two, I would choose the SmartTop. The one touch feature and the door lock feature are a lot more useful every time I drive it, than the remote feature. I do like the alarm being on with the top down in the RemoteTop.

It's pretty smart marketing. Both products feature both nice to have and must have features. The two together are excellent.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, it wasn't until today, almost 2 months after I installed these, that I figured out a little trick to consistently getting the RemoteTop to work properly the first time.

I was having problems either pressing the remote button too long or not long enough, and ended up having to relock or unlock before attempting again, finally figured out today that if I pressed the button on the remote and let go as soon as when the turn-signal lights come on, then it seems to work 100% reliably, as vs. trying to estimate what 3/4 of second is that is required.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by SSST
II do like the alarm being on with the top down in the RemoteTop.
I had the SmartTop enabled with this function but found it to be a nusience as it triggers too easily outdoors in my experience, so I ended up disabled it after a few days.

It's pretty smart marketing. Both products feature both nice to have and must have features. The two together are excellent.
Agreed, I ended up working up a deal with the vendor buying both and saved a few dollars.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
I had the SmartTop enabled with this function but found it to be a nusience as it triggers too easily outdoors in my experience, so I ended up disabled it after a few days.
Put the windows up and it takes care of the problem. It will only go off if someone actually reaches into the car.

I think the glass actually acts as a bit of a barrier to the motion sensors.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by SSST
Put the windows up and it takes care of the problem. It will only go off if someone actually reaches into the car.

I think the glass actually acts as a bit of a barrier to the motion sensors.
Interesting, I might try that sometimes. It doesn't matter to me normally as I would close the top if I was away for any lengthy period of time, I only leave the top down if I was going into the store for a minute or have direct sight of the car at an outdoor patio or similar.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
jackarelli
Advanced

Hi,
i just completed the DIY mod, took 5 minutes and cost nothing. really easy

1. unclip the back of the hood and flip it over.
2. remove the carpet
3. find the control box

4. Snip the pink and grey wire (other years may be a different colour wire please check before cutting, you are Looking for the speed sensor wire)

5. tape the end of the wire and there you go

Click the hand break up one click and you can operate the hood at any speed.

i wouldn't recommend operating it over 20mph

Jack
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jackarelli
Hi,

Jack
This is not what the smart/remote top are for...this is only for speed sensing which 03 and up allow (up to 35mph) already.

I prefer just the Smarttop as I do not want to operate the top without the engine running.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
This is not what the smart/remote top are for...this is only for speed sensing which 03 and up allow (up to 35mph) already.

I prefer just the Smarttop as I do not want to operate the top without the engine running.
I don't get your point. Operation of the top with or without the engine running is available without any add-ons. For cabs earlier than 03, the DIY mod gets you about 90% of the utility of Smart Top without the cost. If you need one-touch operation (I don't) there is an electronic switch for about $75 that gives you the one-touch feature. I actually like the safety feature of needing to click the emergency brake to operate the top while moving. If I want to open the top before entering the car I can do it with the key, so don't see the need for $600 worth of electronics to do what I can already do.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
aviography
Drifting

The $75 solution, RoboTop, appears to have had issues the first run with intermittent failures, it's been reintroduced AFAIK, however I have not heard much of anyone getting it, I also don't like to cut OEM wires even though this is a easily reversible operation in this case.

The SmartTop also closes up windows at the end of the convertible top close cycle, and allows the rear quarter windows to be raised when the convertible top is down, maybe not mandatory for everyone, but I found these to be convenient features for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jackarelli
Hi,

1. unclip the back of the hood and flip it over.
2. remove the carpet
3. find the control box

4. Snip the pink and grey wire (other years may be a different colour wire please check before cutting, you are Looking for the speed sensor wire)

5. tape the end of the wire and there you go

Click the hand break up one click and you can operate the hood at any speed.

Jack
I went another DIY route, and just modified the relay, which is nice, as it's easily reversible. Bend pin 18 over, ground pin 15, and bam, top works even while rolling at low speeds. No need to leave the parking brake a click up, either. It's been working great for me for 2 years now.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...en-when-movin/

These cars really should have come from the factory this way.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 AM
jackarelli
Advanced

Thanks for the link I'll check the relay solution out when I get some time.

Sorry, but can I clarify something please..

I have a 99 and I can control the roof with the key fob and my windows close at the end of the operation. Is this not the case for others?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I love the one touch option and the ability to open and close while at slow speeds. One of my favorite mods. I also did the remote top which was great until it failed after a year or so. Something to do with disconnecting the battery on the early versions. They have modified them now and one of these days I am going to replace it. The ability to open and close with the remote when you are leaving or returning to the car is great. No need to sit in the car while it opens or closes.
Even without the smart top, the top can be opened and closed via the ignition key in the door lock as you stand by the drivers door so there is no need to sit in the drivers seat Doug. Does the smart top have an auto stop to it if someone puts their fingers in the way of travel? I mean after that first one push, with the remote (or on the inside button) if something is in the way of hood travel, does it stop auto or trap their fingers?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

"I went another DIY route, and just modified the relay, which is nice, as it's easily reversible. Bend pin 18 over, ground pin 15, and bam, top works even while rolling at low speeds. No need to leave the parking brake a click up, either. It's been working great for me for 2 years now."

I much prefer having to click the parking brake as this prevents accidental opening of the top.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
jackarelli
Advanced

Originally Posted by wyovino
"
I much prefer having to click the parking brake as this prevents accidental opening of the top.
+1

Quick Reply: Smart Top or Not Smart Top