Sponsored by:

Help! Sway bar end link mount broke. Can I just take it off and drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help! Sway bar end link mount broke. Can I just take it off and drive

Do I have to take off both sides or can I leave one side connected? The alignment shop is 40 miles away, highway.

Obviously, i'm not going to hot dog it because it creates an oversteer situation. But do I have to take off both sides?

I guess I can leave the sway in, right?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You can leave one side connected but remove or tie up the broken link so it does not do any more damage to anything. Most cars will drive fine without any sway bars at all, some don't even have them. You just may experience more body roll when cornering.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're bound to bang up the sway bar with the control arm, especially since the suspension will now travel a lot more. I'd pull the whole thing out and and take turns reaaally slowly.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

when you say whole thing, you mean the driver side endlink as well, correct? I was just thinking to remove the body of the endlink (red part and the end that part that connects to the shock) since it's adjustable.

What do you think? Thanks. At least it's not more serious.

Originally Posted by halik
You're bound to bang up the sway bar with the control arm, especially since the suspension will now travel a lot more. I'd pull the whole thing out and and take turns reaaally slowly.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
when you say whole thing, you mean the driver side endlink as well, correct? I was just thinking to remove the body of the endlink (red part and the end that part that connects to the shock) since it's adjustable.

What do you think? Thanks. At least it's not more serious.
With one end link gone, the pass side control arm will ride up and ding into the sway bar - if you take both the endlink off, you can tie the sway bar up the static point of the struts (ie kinda by the mount near the top) and keep it out of the way of the control arms.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

ok, removed both ends and tied up the sway bar on both sides. Hopefully, my 40mi trip to the alignment shop will be ok....

Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I would disconnect both link... the link that is attached will moved the bar up and down and might rip that tie wrap off on the other side.... isolating the bar movement is key. disconnect the links and hang everything tight.

Edit: just read the last post... you should be good. GL

Quick Reply: Help! Sway bar end link mount broke. Can I just take it off and drive