Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How many miles should we expect from the 996 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:24 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeman
I just found out one of my customers has 250k miles on his 99 cab, original motor, no IMS/RMS done, just minor stuff like MAF etc. Pretty amazing!
^^^FTW!!!

That's in Macster's territory but in a 996...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by redmatte911
Greetings my fellow Porsche enthusiasts...I guess the passion and love of my first Carrera propelled me to enquire and learn more about how to maintain my car, which I refer to as Pegasus, the Krimson Knight! I am coming on my first oil change and the mechanic who works on Porsches down the street from me here in Hermosa noticed some oil leaks on both the seal and to the right of it, a larger panel...seal replacement was 115 and the larger panel 545 plus labor...no biggie...I asked him to write me up an invoice as I am going out of town for a week and then he was like well after I look at it, I may have to do other things to the car which may be relevant to the oil...for you guys who have been in this scenario, as my oil is not leaking to the ground even, should I just get the two recommendations he noticed done? My followup question is can there be anything else he is referring to that may need to be fixed? I just had a feeling he may have been taking me for a ride...please get back to me when time permits...thanks.

Tanvir H.

Redmatte,

Ask your mechanic exactly what he thinks the problem areas are. When you find out, let us know. Until them we can only guess what he might be referring to.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
RRRUFF
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a 2000 cab with 155k! drove it 600 miles the day I picked it up. call me crazy but it ran great. still a bit scared. i will give updates as the miles pile up.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRUFF
Just bought a 2000 cab with 155k! drove it 600 miles the day I picked it up. call me crazy but it ran great. still a bit scared. i will give updates as the miles pile up.
Crazy why? Scared of what? These are great cars. Enjoy the ride and congrats!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by redmatte911
Greetings my fellow Porsche enthusiasts...I guess the passion and love of my first Carrera propelled me to enquire and learn more about how to maintain my car, which I refer to as Pegasus, the Krimson Knight! I am coming on my first oil change and the mechanic who works on Porsches down the street from me here in Hermosa noticed some oil leaks on both the seal and to the right of it, a larger panel...seal replacement was 115 and the larger panel 545 plus labor...no biggie...I asked him to write me up an invoice as I am going out of town for a week and then he was like well after I look at it, I may have to do other things to the car which may be relevant to the oil...for you guys who have been in this scenario, as my oil is not leaking to the ground even, should I just get the two recommendations he noticed done? My followup question is can there be anything else he is referring to that may need to be fixed? I just had a feeling he may have been taking me for a ride...please get back to me when time permits...thanks.

Tanvir H.
Generally speaking, if the oil isn't hitting the ground or fouling wiring harness lines, hoses, or suspension bushings, and there are no other symptoms that might have a relationship to the oil leak, you can take a wait and see attitude.

Generally speaking.

At this time then I would advise you to take the car to your tech for his professional opinion, but since you doubt your tech's opinion I'd modify this advice to take the car to *another* technician, one you do trust.

As an aside: My 02 Boxster's got a leaky camshaft cover. The tech at the dealer and I have been keeping an eye on this camshaft leak now for over 10K miles (at least 2 oil/filter services).

Then just a few weeks ago when my 03 Turbo was in for its oil/filter service another tech spotted what he believes is a RMS leak. Since the leak is not bad at all - no oil showing up on the ground and no leaking oil making a mess elsewhere -- he advised a wait and see on this as well.

Also, I have to note that due to family responsibilities I have been so busy I lost track of the miles and the Turbo went 10K miles between oil changes vs. the usual 5K miles. Even though as best I could tell the oil pressure (the Turbo has an oil pressure gage) was not affected I'm hoping that a contributing factor to the leak was the oil just got thinned out a bit too much and at the next oil change (at 5K miles, I swear!) we'll find the leak has dried up.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM
RRRUFF
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Crazy why? Scared of what? These are great cars. Enjoy the ride and congrats!
Thanks Gonzo911. I do enjoy it. The car is in better shape inside and out than my wife's 2003 Escallade!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Surfer161
Instructor

just passed 103K mi. nothing seems wrong, but I did have replace both cats at 99K mi.

at 89K i replaced clutch and did RMS and IS update. It drips a small amount now
The head tech at my Porsche dealer said he has seen many 996 cars at well over 200K mi with no problems. And, he has seen 997 engines fail at 45 miles.

who knows.

Surfer161

Quick Reply: How many miles should we expect from the 996 engine?