Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Getting a glass window-ed top... need advice.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/698933-getting-a-glass-window-ed-top-need-advice.html)

frisbee91 08-06-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wyovino (Post 9739143)
My plastic window has separated at the bottom, about a foot wide near the center. ...<snip>... Has anyone had any experience with rivet guns like this one from Harbour Freight?

I'd go with the stitcher from harborfreight instead, and use some super-heavy-duty polyester thread.

I did mine a few years ago, and it's still holding up. Here's my write-up.

Shark Attack 08-06-2012 10:57 AM

everytime I buy something off ebay I get screwed. Something is missing, It doesnt fit right. Poor craftmanship.

wyovino 08-06-2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by frisbee91 (Post 9743713)
I'd go with the stitcher from harborfreight instead, and use some super-heavy-duty polyester thread.

I did mine a few years ago, and it's still holding up. Here's my write-up.

Thanks. Will give that a try. I bought a riveter from H.F. but didn't realize that both sides wouldn't be flush, so I couldn't use it. Definitely good for fender liners though.

I bought some heavy-duty nylon thread and some "repair" needles. It's really tough to get through all of the layers. My hands are killing me and I only was able to put in about 10 stitches. The awl you suggest looks like it will do a much better job.

frisbee91 08-06-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by wyovino (Post 9744641)
I bought some heavy-duty nylon thread and some "repair" needles. It's really tough to get through all of the layers. My hands are killing me and I only was able to put in about 10 stitches. The awl you suggest looks like it will do a much better job.

I also bought some heavy-duty sewing machine needles (with the hole in the end), and used those with the sewing awl (although I bought the "handy-stitcher", not the one from harbor freight). The sewing machine needles were a better diameter for the application. Also, I used a running lock stitch, with an upper and lower thread. It's a lot of work, but it holds up.
Good luck with the repair.

sempaipaul 04-02-2013 11:50 PM

I am for real ---- about to pull the trigger on this top.

I still haven't! Crazy right?! well now that we're done with the winter I need to get this top right.

Please advise if anyone has gotten one of these!

Thanks,
Paul

LI911 04-03-2013 10:34 AM

I'm having a new top put on next week but decided to go with the plastic window. $1,200 installed.

sempaipaul 04-03-2013 11:16 PM

boy oh boy --- now I am not only debating about which one to get off e-bay - but also on maybe staying with the plastic window is a better idea...

ugh

for the plastic window one - which tops (brands) have you guys selected? can someone post links?

Thanks!
Paul

LI911 04-04-2013 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by sempaipaul (Post 10357696)
boy oh boy --- now I am not only debating about which one to get off e-bay - but also on maybe staying with the plastic window is a better idea...

ugh

for the plastic window one - which tops (brands) have you guys selected? can someone post links?

Thanks!
Paul

They are using the GAHH for mine