Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Getting a glass window-ed top... need advice..

Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 PM
sempaipaul
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a glass window-ed top... need advice..

Hey guys..

well I am now in absolute need of a top for my 2000 c2. I have been holding off forever, and now time has come. I have officially made up my mind on not doing plastic window top, as in my opinion the glass one is tougher and actually looks better.

I am looking at these 2 tops...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-...d7e140&vxp=mtr

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-01-Pors...87f520&vxp=mtr

Which one...??? they seem identical! does anyone have these?

Thanks!
-Paul
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Reborn996
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the first one uses a material more like the factory which is the German A5 canvas... I would pick that one.

I was going to do this as well but not a fan of the smaller rear window. The blind spot is bad enough with the large plastic window.

David
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM
frisbee91
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should find out who manufactures those ebay listed tops. I know GAHH makes aftermarket tops, and I think you can buy directly from them. Or, if you have an installer in mind, they may be able to order from GAHH.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 AM
babylonboots
User

I'd go for the smaller window. I never really have to worry about what I've left behind - more concerned about what's in front of me.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
relinuca
User

Default new top and ??

After flipping several coins, I recently had my '99's rear window replaced (the original was breaking away in the upper corners) rather than going all the way with a new top, headliner, etc. Only time will tell if this was a wise economic decision on my part.

As you might suspect, the major cost here is the labor. Two shops in my area charge about $700 to remove/reinstall a 996 cabrio top (10-12 hours), and this process is required whether replacing the plastic window or installing a new top.

On a positive note, my new sewn-in plastic window looks terrific, and my original top and headliner look even better now.

FWIW: these fine OEM German cabrio tops have numerous hidden elastic straps, tensioning cables, various tabs w/weird fasteners, etc. Before buying an aftermarket replacement, talk with an actual customer and experienced installer to get frank feed back.

relinuca
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
sempaipaul
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks guys,

does anyone else have any feedback or thoughts?

The Gahh top seems a bit out of my price range, and these German Canvasse'd tops look identical. Anyone else have them?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just found myself in the same position. When out for lunch and noticed that the rear window was delaminating on the bottom.

If that's true about $700 in labor whether you fix or replace the top, it seems to make sense to replace it, no?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
pszikla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago with Gahh brand.
Top quality and same A5 canvas material as original factory unit.
I decided to stay with plastic because of size versus glass and am very happy with tight look of canvas.
The plastic window has a double row of stitching versus original that was just glued.
Car looks newer because of new top!!
Total cost incl. labor $2200.00.
I would argue that spending 7 to 8 hundred on labor plus window cost to keep old canvas is not the best investment.
Pete
Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have any experience with AutoMat in Hicksville, NY?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
tcc
User

The glue holding the plastic to the canvas came away on my 01 cab top as well. For reasons of pragmatism, went to a reputable coach works shop in vancouver and they suggested stitching and resealing since canvas and window in very good shape. Was quoted $700 to $800 for this. Option B was an entirely new factory top (with plastic window again) for $5000 or an aftermarket one for $2800! Would be nice to have a glass replacement for sure.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM
sempaipaul
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I will be getting this glass-windowed top. Seems as his feedback is good - and people that write feedback had the actual tops put on 996's...

-Paul
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sempaipaul View Post
I think I will be getting this glass-windowed top. Seems as his feedback is good - and people that write feedback had the actual tops put on 996's...

-Paul
Which one did you decide on, you listed two links?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:27 AM
jandekkers
User

the photo used in their advertising is my 996. I love the glass window don't have the heating element word. Too much hassle. I did have it installed at the same place i bought it and can't be happier. http://outboundlink.me/ib.php?DR_id=200&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPORSCHE-911-996-CONVERTIBLE-TOP-GLASS-WINDOW-OEM-A5-GERMAN-CANVAS-1999-2001-%2F270915854656%3Fpt%3DMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories%26hash%3Ditem3 f13d7e140%26vxp%3Dmtr&ibref=m.rennlist.com%2Frennforums%2Fshowthread.php %3Ft%3D698933&outtime=18378

Jan
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 PM
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

My plastic window has separated at the bottom, about a foot wide near the center. I tried glueing and clamping with Automotive Goop and it mostly worked. To tell the truth I didn't spend a lot of time cleaning off the old glue - actually almost no time. I'm thinking of injecting more glue into the small part that is still loose. I was wondering if some black plastic rivets might hold it together a little better. The top is in pretty good shape despite being 12 years old. I'd like to get another couple of years out of it if I can. Has anyone had any experience with rivet guns like this one from Harbour Freight?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...ets-97757.html

If i have to bite the bullet and get a new top I will, but I'd prefer to defer it if I can.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
tcc
User

Originally Posted by tcc View Post
The glue holding the plastic to the canvas came away on my 01 cab top as well. For reasons of pragmatism, went to a reputable coach works shop in vancouver and they suggested stitching and resealing since canvas and window in very good shape. Was quoted $700 to $800 for this. Option B was an entirely new factory top (with plastic window again) for $5000 or an aftermarket one for $2800! Would be nice to have a glass replacement for sure.
So as mentioned, I elected to go with the stitching of the top around the window rather than spring for a new top for $5g. Both the top and the plastic were in really good shape. Here is the result for about $750. I'll see how it holds up over the next little while.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting a glass window-ed top... need advice..

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: