996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Picking up my 996 today....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I would let the previous owner know. If he was original owner and had it serviced regularly at the dealer i would ask him if he could bring it in to the dealership he has been using to see if they could bat for him with asking Porsche for some good will. If its the original owner with history with the dealer and company they might be willing to do so on his behalf but not for a "new" second owner. You never know you might get lucky with that route. Hope all works
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Crap. Glad the PPI shop is willing to cover the labour on this.. guess another good reason to pick a solid shop for a PPI ! ... hopefully she will be fixed up soon, and you'll be cruizing this Summer.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:36 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel for you! I hope it does end up being something minor. Ugghh.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Well... it's major.

Just talked to the mechanic.

He still feels bad and will still do repair for parts only. Plus will sell parts to me at his cost.

However, he said new engine is the proper fix.

He said he could put a new bearing on there but he said it likely won't be a long term fix and he doesn't know how much metal is in the engine.

Will look into options this week. He said used engines are $5k-6k and Porsche re-man is $19k retail. He is looking into wholesale cost on Tuesday.

Oh ya, so memo to anybody looking to buy a 996 and anybody who says warranties are a waste of money... in my opinion they aren't for a car like this and I wish I had paid extra for CPO or a warranty from moment 1. I was going to add a warranty this week. That will be too late though.

Also, make sure your PPI includes thorough check of oil filter!

I have no way to know if the seller had any clue but I have to assume not. Seems like a nice guy. I have asked him to call the dealer to see if he can get any kind of deal/accommodation.

Sucks!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Sad news. Unless the bearing was leaking, there is really no way to tell via PPI if a failure will occur sooner or later, unless you split the motor/tranny. Thankfully when this happened to me, I was covered under CPO and had a brand new 2005 motor installed by Porsche.

Regardless, you have a very nice car and this issue is not the end of the world. Get it fixed properly and enjoy it.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by CT944
Regardless, you have a very nice car and this issue is not the end of the world. Get it fixed properly and enjoy it.
Thank you. No, not the end of the world but couldn't it have waited until 6 months or so!? I mean, 24 hours after I started driving it... not even 100 miles.... Very frustrating.

Will talk to Porsche first and am hoping they may jump in in some way. It's just two months since CPO ended. We shall see....
Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

best of luck getting this matter sorted.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:53 AM
dannyvxx
2nd Gear

Wow that totally sucks! Less then 24 hours of ownership? You gotta be kidding. To make you feel better, I got my 01 996 less than 1 month ago and was nailed in the parking lot by a Dodge Nitro. It's in the body shop now. A guy over at 6speedonline got his 01 996 back in March and his engine blew up in smoke today.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by dannyvxx; 05-28-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You say you 'heard something weird' so you stopped and then it dropped the oil. What did you hear above your radio (as I assume you had the radio blaring with you being a young dude) who seems to be more interested in modding out a car EVEN before picking it up? I see you were offered a great deal of extended warrenty but you chose to keep your money in the bank. Taken from one of your prevuious postings. 3 years/36,000 miles $3575 ALL WITH $250 deductible per visit .
WHAT CAN I SAY…You preferred to spend your money on modding rather than on protection knowing these 996 had occassional problems. Theres an old saying in my family "You can't put an old head on young shoulders". Sorry for your problems Hope you get things sorted out.
The PO might have known this was about to happen. The filter could have been changed without the oil being changed at the same time. Not that it's going to do you any good but a PO could have known and covered up by a recent oil and filter change and the PPI would never have found it anyway. You sure its a bearing problem and not a piston flying somewhere it shouldn't have as you revved the **** out of this car in the first 100 miles. ??????????????????????? People on this board speak there minds. So do I.....right or wrong. That is M H O
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have some luck with the CPO - I know that my dealer was able to get some goodwill coverage for a customer whose CPO expired a few months before the engine went. Did not cover all of it, but if I recall it was a substantial dollar amount.

Hurdi - Although I agree with your comments about the interest in mods over protecting the bones of the car (I have a kid who does the same thing - he jumps to put the stereo and amp in his cars while Dad ends up taking care of things like leaking axle seals and bad brakes )I think all of us on this board have had some "coulda, woulda, shoulda" experiences - I know I have, and I still do, and I'm an old head.

Guess I will be working to renew my extended warranty on my C4S that expires in October. And better, I guess I won't regret having the IMSB replaced when I take my C2 in for a clutch next week.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You say you 'heard something weird' so you stopped and then it dropped the oil. What did you hear above your radio (as I assume you had the radio blaring with you being a young dude) who seems to be more interested in modding out a car EVEN before picking it up? I see you were offered a great deal of extended warrenty but you chose to keep your money in the bank. Taken from one of your prevuious postings. 3 years/36,000 miles $3575 ALL WITH $250 deductible per visit .
WHAT CAN I SAY…You preferred to spend your money on modding rather than on protection knowing these 996 had occassional problems. Theres an old saying in my family "You can't put an old head on young shoulders". Sorry for your problems Hope you get things sorted out.
The PO might have known this was about to happen. The filter could have been changed without the oil being changed at the same time. Not that it's going to do you any good but a PO could have known and covered up by a recent oil and filter change and the PPI would never have found it anyway. You sure its a bearing problem and not a piston flying somewhere it shouldn't have as you revved the **** out of this car in the first 100 miles. ??????????????????????? People on this board speak there minds. So do I.....right or wrong. That is M H O
So we buy a sports car from one of top marquees in automotive industry well known for its motorsport lineage and we should buy an extended warranty right away and then never rev the engine (which is protected from rev-limiter excluding incorrect downshifting) in fear of the engine self-destructing?! How silly and ironic is that mindset if this sports car should only be driven in a leisurely pace with the owner constantly concerned with a major failure???

Is that what Porsche meant by "There is no substitute"? There just seems to be more incidents like these as compared to other brands, how often do we hear about this happening with other brands?

You are entitled to speak your mind, however it seems to be kicking a chap while he's down facing a major rude awakening of the Porsche ownership experience.

Last edited by aviography; 05-29-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

WOW! That's about all I can say. I have exposed my sole to try and help others avoid this problem... as well as for some personal therapy to share my plight with "friends."

I didn't do any mods except change my pumpkins out so I could fit in around Rennlist. I was asking questions because I was excited about my car. I spent $2,000 this week on invisible things like a loose hose and some other stuff. All of it non-cosmetic and not visible. So you are 100% wrong about where I spent my money.

I am a 44 year old family man so don't think I am "young dude." At that moment my wife and I had a Madonna CD playing but not loudly. I now hate Madonna even more.

I was going to get the warranty this week. I have the email in my in box. I didn't pick the car up until Friday. I didn't buy the car from the dealer offering the warranty. I had to make those arrangements still. Is it really that unreasonable to think you could expect to drive a car a few days without the warranty in place!? I am not a huge risk taker but come on now be reasonable.

I did not rev the engine at all. I am really not a fast driver. I just wanted a convertible Porsche. I am not a track guy or anything like that. So you are just wrong.

Beyond being just wrong I think you have really crossed the line about speaking one's mind. You don't know me, have no reason to be mean to me, and thus I will assume you had a few too many pints this morning with breakfast.

I would also assume you wouldn't tell me all this to my face in a bar, with such conviction, would you? Isn't that always a good test if you should be typing it on the internet!?

Peace be with your brother. I hope you feel better now after kicking me while I am down.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems Hurdi has learned the pitfall of the word ***-U-Me.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hurdi,
I have noticed as of late that your posts seem angry. It seems like you are finding members or owners on this forum to take out some sort of anger. I don't think that your synopsis or assumptions of what happened here are warranted at all. Assume something about the car rather than the owner. Why would you care anyway if he wanted to mod the car even before ownership? It doesn't affect you.
There is a saying in my family like "If you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all"!!
Words of encouragement would work better in this situation than your words of assumption and accusations.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
WOW! That's about all I can say. I have exposed my sole to try and help others avoid this problem... as well as for some personal therapy to share my plight with "friends."

+1..horrible story, best of luck sorting this out.

Quick Reply: Picking up my 996 today....