Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

taking in Pcar to mechanic tomorrow, any recs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking in Pcar to mechanic tomorrow, any recs?

MY03, 86k miles on it, clutch changed at 60k (doubt rms/ims was done).

He's the guy who did my PPI (very honest, great guy, great price). Car passed with no probs, no leaks.

He's doing my oil change tomorrow, installing the Scosche IPFMRDS Fm modulator so i can plug in my iphone, and he'll be taking a listen to that noise i keep posting about.

any other things that should be looked for with a car at this mileage? any overhauls? any problematic things to be replaced? I want the engine to last as long as it can and wanna take the proper maintenance for it. Should i get the tranny fluid replaced? any other fluids replaced? keep in mind i know NOTHING about cars.

thanks!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- Definitely tranny fluid at 9 years - 86K ... (that does not cost much)
- Brake fluid flush if that has not been done in last 2-3 years
-I'd consider water pump as preventative if you have the budget - and change coolant while you are doing that @ 9 years >60Km
-Do you have 60K service records ? If that was more than 4 years ago - I'd do plugs and poly belt.
-You can do air filter and cabin filter yourself in 10 mins to save some $$ (would be due at 90K anyway)
- Check for any leaks
- Check condition of suspension bushings etc. (probably done during PPI anyway ?)
- Alignment check if there is uneven tire wear, vibration, tracking problems etc
- If there is no leak - you don;t need to do RMS - as you know there is big debate here whether to do IMSB as preventative (and do RMS & AOS while you are in there) - in generral i'd say if you are doing clutch you might want to consider that as small additional $ job - but to spend $2-$3K+ when there is probably nothing wrong - is a big investment unless you plan to keep the car 10 years and are one of the more paranoid guys on the board .... (could consider IMS guardian also in that case - but I'm also not sure how many guys have really been saved by that yet)

Also consider Mag drain plug (Cheap), and send oil sample in to Blackstone for analysis (also cheap and will tell you some more about condition of engine).

Good luck ....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!

i'll def ask about the tranny fluid + brake flush. He took out the spark plugs during PPI and said they looked great. I dont have the previous maintenence records, but i spoke with previous owner who said everything's been done and the car has been well cared for. He seemed pretty legit too (but who knows) and the car is in wonderful shape for a 9 year old car.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure he uses porsche trans fluid for 6 speed or lubrimolly which is Oe supplier .......
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

get a copy of this: http://www.renntech.org/forums/files...o-my05-usapdf/

then have your indy go through the checklist for maintenance items for your car's mileage.

Quick Reply: taking in Pcar to mechanic tomorrow, any recs?