Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

When buying an early 996, are major engine probs not a matter of IF, but WHEN?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default When buying an early 996, are major engine probs not a matter of IF, but WHEN?

Guys, sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times. I'm looking into some '99 996's, and I've researched the fact that these early models are prone to drastic engine "malfunctions", all the way up to engine failure.

My question is, considering someone buys a 996 as a fun car to drive around from time to time, and the ex owner doesn't have the "gen 2 motor installed", i.e you're running on the original motor, are problems being around the corner more or less inevitable (not due to natural causes, but speaking solely on the quirks specific to the early 996 engines)? Some of these cars have well over 100K on the original motor, which is obviously a good sign.

Anyone who has the time to regurgitate any other commonalities with the '99 (or early in general) 996's once again, it would be also very appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Caligari
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

........................................................................ ........................................................................ ....no.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Guys, sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times. I'm looking into some '99 996's, and I've researched the fact that these early models are prone to drastic engine "malfunctions", all the way up to engine failure.

My question is, considering someone buys a 996 as a fun car to drive around from time to time, and the ex owner doesn't have the "gen 2 motor installed", i.e you're running on the original motor, are problems being around the corner more or less inevitable (not due to natural causes, but speaking solely on the quirks specific to the early 996 engines)? Some of these cars have well over 100K on the original motor, which is obviously a good sign.

Anyone who has the time to regurgitate any other commonalities with the '99 (or early in general) 996's once again, it would be also very appreciated.

Thanks.
You answered your own question.

For every twenty 996s out there, Nineteen are good. I will bet you as much as you want that you can't find the bad one in one try. So the answer is a definite NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

To the OP....
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Search is your friend Grasshopper.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter, I think your quote in your signature if hillarious ...."Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rearend. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall."

K-A... pick the newest P-car you can afford, get a good PPI, and then just enjoy it. A few basics, go high mileage vs low mileage, check the serial number on the engine to see if it is a newer / replaced one, and budget maintenance costs.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

K-A,
For EVERY automobile on the planet, the case is WHEN, not IF. Some go sooner than others. Most last a very long time when properly cared for. Like life, sometimes unfortunate things happen to nice cars.

Shop wisely. Budget amply for maintenance and repairs. No 996 is brand new or under a factory original warranty anymore. '99's are now well into their 14th year of life.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 335 Posts

Here's another one I like:

SELECT* from posters WHERE clue > 0
no rows returned
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If that was the case, I'd have sold our '99 Boxster years ago. Had it since '01, no major work ever. Just before the factory expired in '02 I asked the dealer for a new top, as it jambed once before and I didn't like the wrinkled sides. They complied. I also has a mechanical warranty that covered the car for 10 years. Never had to use it. The car has not been to a dealer or shop since '02, nor need to. I do all the maintenance and pull the wheels when it's time for tires. My Turbo has not been to a dealer in the 13.5 months that I've owned it and my previous 996 was at the dealer once in 7 years of ownership.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

if you're having 997 problems, i feel bad for you son! i got 996 problems and a IMS aint one
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 AM
kr3678
Instructor

Where is a good facepalm graphic when you need one?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kr3678
Where is a good facepalm graphic when you need one?

Last edited by jasper; 12-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Ha ha. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know this is a newbie question, and the reason why I asked is because I'm aware that the early 996 motors specifically have a tendency to go kaput due to design flaws (which were mended with the gen 2 motors from what I understand). Just want to make sure plenty of 996 owners aren't seeing their cars affected by such issues.

I found what appears to be a very well showing '99 911, clean history, etc. It has 90K miles which I find to be kind of "low" considering its price. Seems like lots of things were just recently changed (big list of important items, none relating to the engine), but the big red flag I think is that it's had a whopping 6 owners. Kind of disconcerting. The guy also said that there is some oil leakage occurring which is barely even noticeable (i.e you'd have to have the car parked for quite some time before you can see oil even on the ground) due to being in such an infantile state but in due time it'll probably need to be fixed. Other than that he said the motor seems perfect.

It's very enticing. I'd love a 996 to play around with and this particular one is in the mid "teens", but not sure if I have the guts.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend thew a rod in his Subaru at 150K miles and the car was toast. Yes, if the engine dies in you 911 - the cost will be higher ! But many people are running these cars to >100K miles on this board with no major issues. Get a good PPI (ask for a recommended shop in your area). Slight oil leak probably warrants attention - could be something as simple as plug tube - or could be RMS - which is not catastrophic - but build in the cost of replacing that in the price you are paying for the car - and while you are in there - you can consider doing other preventative work such as AOS, Water Pump and yes even IMS, if that will give you peace of mind. Your engine can die for other reasons but I think most would agree 150K miles+ is achievable if you regularly maintain and don't abuse the car.

I think lots of newbies reading this board are rightly concerned about the issues raised - but much of this is skewed by the fact that most people are only writing about problems here to seek advice (you don;t see too many posts saying "drove the car today and the IMS did not blow"), so PPI, drive, enjoy, maintain and with a bit of luck you will be like the 9x% of us without major issues. Of course of you can't live with the few percent risk - a 911 might not be for you - but then again even Subarus can blow a rod .....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

I was told by an indy if you cant aford a $5K trip to the shop then a Pcar is not for you. Not every trip is that much. (I've never had one that high yet in the last three years)

Quick Reply: When buying an early 996, are major engine probs not a matter of IF, but WHEN?