Sponsored by:

Still looking for c4s...second car in one week did not pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Still looking for c4s...second car in one week did not pass inspection

Last week it was a gorgeous guards red that had leaky motor halves. This week a gorgeous speed yellow. SY car was in a pretty good accident. It required basically the front clip replacement, hood, radiator, ac condenser, bumper support and you name it.

Excellence magazine buying guides seemed to be over priced to me in the past. However their latest c4/c4s buying guide published in 2011 shows 03-04 c4s values from low of 29k to 34k. the market seems bit higher than those stated ranges. KBB and NADA are not good guides for special interest cars but excellence is usually accurate.

The buying guide also list 06 c4's to be 38k to 51k. I am starting to think perhaps going 997 route. I just prefer the lines of the 996 widebody, they are simply timeless.

Let me know if you know of a honest C4s coupe in manual for sale. I am looking for a car that is not black or shades of silver. Nothing against those cars, I simply prefer red, yellow, blue etc.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
otto06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha ok - no way can you get a quality c4S in Cali for 38k... a stripper 997 w/ 60k miles + for 40k - sure
Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM
smokindav
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not buy a 911 Turbo? You can get decent ones in the $40k range.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

where are you from?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
where are you from?
I am in Denver CO but have been looking for cars all around the country. Well mostly western and southern states as I do not want to buy a rust belt car.

Originally from Istanbul, if thats what you asked.

I am not a huge fan of the turbos. I like the original 911 lines of the 996 with out fixed wing and uninterrupted rear quarters without the air intakes. I also tend to gravitate towards the response of the NA engines. My family driver is a turbo charged MB and I get my forced induction fix with that engine.

Here is the excellence article for reference:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resour...ide/1041874889
Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are actually enough of these cars where NADAwhich is based on surveys of auction prices has a pretty good line on them. It is usually in line with Excellence although Excellence deals with some of the subtleties of different option packages and rare combinations.

If you can find a clean car at a dealer you can negotiate successfully using NADA trade in as the dealer's cost. Individuals can be tougher as they dig in on KBBs higher prices, and tend to think their particular car is special (can't blame them).

Just keep hunting and negotiating. You will find the right car at the right price.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 AM
mrtoro
Racer

Originally Posted by SSST
There are actually enough of these cars where NADAwhich is based on surveys of auction prices has a pretty good line on them. It is usually in line with Excellence although Excellence deals with some of the subtleties of different option packages and rare combinations.

If you can find a clean car at a dealer you can negotiate successfully using NADA trade in as the dealer's cost. Individuals can be tougher as they dig in on KBBs higher prices, and tend to think their particular car is special (can't blame them).

Just keep hunting and negotiating. You will find the right car at the right price.

thank you for the NADA recommendation. their prices are very similar to the excellence buying guide. I will stay on the hunt and hope to post first pictures soon. My son is asking for it everyday, I think he is more excited than I.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 AM
spender
Pro

I agree that the 996 C4S has very special lines. I have actually been asked twice this year in parking lots (which seems like a lot to me) if my C4S is the "new" 911. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

You looking for cab or coupe?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I'm glad you dodged those bullets! There's nothing worse than buying something that breaks a short time later.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

Buying a car like this is like buying a house, you'll look at a ton of them that are close, but just aren't right for some reason. Keep your eyes peeled, the right one will pop up. Also, you're trying to find one in the least common colors available.

If I were you, I'd get ready to buy a plane ticket because you're probably going to need to travel to find the one you want.

Also, keep an eye on the website for this dealership. They're local to my area and they always seem to get their hands on rare models/color combos. They tend to ask too much for their cars, but you can work around that.

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
mrtoro
Racer

I am ready to fly and pick up. I think that only adds to the whole experience. My wife and I picked up our old SC in Arizona and drove through grand canyon to Colorado the long way, it was the most memorable road trip ever. My avatar picture is actually taken 25 miles outside of the southern gate of Grand Canyon during our drive home. I enjoyed that car for three years. One day the owners nephew called and asked me to name my price on the SC and bought it back from us.

Now that my son is a four year old car fanatic, the road trip will be a great bonding time for us. He just wants to watch the wing come out of the tail.

I am solely looking for coupes, this car will be my daily driver with a bike rack on it. I thought the red C4s was the one so I even bought a set of c4s wheels and blizzaks off Craigslist last week.

I have bought enough special interest cars (not exotics nor honda accords, m3's, pcars etc) to know better than getting emotional and settling for a car that is not exactly what I want.

This board is great and I have been trolling DIY projects, upgrades etc everynight.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the Craigslist aggregator Search Tempest to look across the country quickly. That's how I found my car in Boston.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
mrtoro
Racer

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I used the Craigslist aggregator Search Tempest to look across the country quickly. That's how I found my car in Boston.
Thats a great suggestions, never knew it existed. I used to manually look at different Craigslist cities where I know people who can check out a car for me. This helps, thank you.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I found mine on Autotrader but I missed it at first. It posts in order of premium ads first and then others. I had a broad net (2002-2007 and all across the country) so it was pages of cars. I didn't look at the non-premium ads (had forgotten they were there). Then one day I was like "oh... more cars...." Tells me two things: 1) when buying look through all the ads and 2) when selling pay for the premium ad on autotrader!

Quick Reply: Still looking for c4s...second car in one week did not pass inspection