New (to me) '02 996 C2 and question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 PM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) '02 996 C2 and question

Greetings all!

I'm currently in the process of buying my 1st 911 (boyhood dream, etc, etc). I had it xfrd from Vegas and it arrived a few days ago...then found out they had to request a new title, which arrived yesterday...already had all of my financing paperwork printed and ready to go, so we went to the dealer and of course it still manages to take 4+ hours...then their computer was erroring trying to run the bank draft and of course it was after-hours for my bank...so, no car till they get it straightened out Monday

Don't they understand they're toying with my emotions?!?

Test drive went well and everything seemed pretty immaculate considering the age, overall very happy with the car. They also have a 5 day money back and 30 day warranty. I went ahead and got their aftermarket, too (peace of mind, if nothing else). I plan on getting a ppi this week (within the 5 day window). It's got a little under 77k and the car-fax and autochex weren't surprising. I wish it had complete service records, but at least it's got the original owner manual and all the other little pamphlets and stuff that came with it.

...and on to the question...

As part of their extended warranty, they say you can't make any mods...kinda bs, but, whatever...

My solution - all I really want is an aux input - that way I can run my iPhone, iPad, GPS or Bluetooth through it. So, with the Becker cable that plugs into the back of the head unit, it terminates in a male plug. Is there a similar one that ends in a female jack? I don't want to put an adapter cable on top of it and introduce more noise, I'd prefer it just be a female that terminates at the harness plug. Does this exist, or do I just have to get the Becker cable and get an adapter cable on top of it?!?

I'm thinking of terminating the female receptacle behind one of the fake buttons, so if I need to take it in I can just reconnect the cd harness and replace the fake button see, no mods...

Either way...I'm stoked for tomorrow...

Regards,
Ken
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, you paid them first before getting the PPI?! I don't think I would do that even with the 5-day "money back" guarantee, you loose leverage when they have your money.

However, best of luck with your new purchase assuming the PPI works out and no major issues come up causing you to have to use the 5-day money back guarantee.

As for the "gender-changer" converter, you don't need to worry about it, it's such a short cable length you are unlikely to pick up electrical noise, but the Becker cable is intended to plug into your headphone output receptable, so why would you want to covert it?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 AM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

Just say I'll never buy another vehicle through carmax...

As for the cable, with a female jack, I can mount it behind a fake button and it'll just look like a cleaner install than having a cable (with the male plug) just hanging somewhere. Plus, mounting it behind a fake button, I can just get a replacement button and hook the cd harness back up if I ever need to take it in (so the warranty isn't voided).
Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 PM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

So, it's in my hot little hands now

As a stopgap until I could order the Becker aux harness, I thought I'd try a tape adapter - even though I've read several threads here about how bad they were (some speakers not playing, muted audio, etc) - WOW!!! Am I glad I tried it...I got a Monster brand adapter at BB for about 25 and it's amazing...and best of all - NO MOD REQUIRED!!! This will definitely hold me over till I get ready to drop the $$$ for the double din nav system
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

So, it's in my hot little hands now

As a stopgap until I could order the Becker aux harness, I thought I'd try a tape adapter - even though I've read several threads here about how bad they were (some speakers not playing, muted audio, etc) - WOW!!! Am I glad I tried it...I got a Monster brand adapter at BB for about 25 and it's amazing...and best of all - NO MOD REQUIRED!!! This will definitely hold me over till I get ready to drop the $$$ for the double din nav system
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Congrats and welcome. But remember it didn't actually happen until we see PICTURES!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
otto06
Instructor

nice - is this the triple grey cab that they had in Vegas? I almost had that car transferred out to LA lolol
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

No...it was the arctic silver w/ black leather C2...

Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 AM
otto06
Instructor

Very nice - congrats!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice looking original car..Not for long though eh? I see the pumpkins are looking kind of nervous.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice looking wheels on your new Porsche, it looks very nice.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

Thanks!!!

Got my PPI (post-purchase inspection) today...he said that it was in excellent condition...WHEW!!!

As all of you on here are well aware - man, this baby is a dream to drive

Ok...time to hit the road again...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice! Welcome to rennlist!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post