Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I want to sell my '04 996 but don't want it to get ruined during all the test drives

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012 | 04:55 PM
Barn996
Race Director

I've always opted to sell rather than trade my cars. If the price is right and the Porsche has no issues, you'll only be letting one or two people drive your Porsche. I haven't even gone with the buyers in the last 3 cars that I've sold and never had any issues. GL
Old 05-18-2012 | 05:02 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Srsly???

Get in the passenger seat and sell the damn car. A test drive is your best opportunity for a potential buyer to turn into THE buyer. Now that doesn't mean they get to rag your car but I would encourage some runs through the gears taching about 5k.

I myself, as a buyer, would be offended by a seller who acted hesitant about letting me drive the car. I would start to wonder what they were hiding too.
Old 05-18-2012 | 05:09 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

From what I've seen, without knowing much about your car, the CarMax offer seems about right for a dealer purchase. As pointed out, they've got to resell the car and they want to make a profit.

I think it's interesting that so many people seem to be surprised by the offer. The fact is, while you might find a $30K Turbo on the market, most people should run like the wind (away from it) when they find it. I've also noticed a recent uptick in 996 prices...or maybe it's just been a bit of a leveling...not sure. Regardless, I've never seen a group of owners want to diminish the value of their cars more than this one.

As for the mayhem concern, I agree with everyone who said you've got to let a potential buyer drive the car if you want to sell it. You can always tell people who trigger some kind of personal alarm that you're not offering test drives...or, perhaps, just not without you in the car. Selling a car can be a headache. For that reason alone, the CarMax deal might be worth it for you.

-Eric
Old 05-18-2012 | 05:24 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

When you sell a boat, you finalize the deal, pending a "sea trial."

So, by the time you take a boat for a spin, you've committed to purchase, at a specific price....given no surprises during the sea trial & inspection.

You might be able to do a version of that approach. Take them for a ride. Let them inspect the car. Then create a sales agreement--pending an inspection by a mechanic and finally, a drive by them.
Old 05-18-2012 | 06:21 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

It's just a car. An 8 year old one at that. I'd like them test drive the car with me in it. If you can't judge a moron looking for a joy ride from a potentially legitimate purchaser the problem is on your side. I wouldn't ever buy a car without driving it personally. RF5BPilot is on the right track. In a few instances, my 996 included, I basically agreed to a price pending inspection and test drive. Both turned out fine so I bought it.

S.
Old 05-18-2012 | 07:15 PM
Barn996
Race Director

I bought a used 1986 Saab SPG with 45k miles on it in '89, drove it until I decided to sell it in 1994 with 150k miles on the odometer. The ONLY interested buyer from Boston showed up at my house and I drove it about 3 miles or so, and the guy says" turn around" , take it back to your house. I said, "what's wrong"?, He says nothing, I can tell you have maintained the car and I'll pay full price for it.
Old 05-19-2012 | 08:35 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Send me a pic,advertise it here and ebay.
Old 05-19-2012 | 09:04 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Anyone who would buy a used 996 (or any car for that matter) without test driving it is missing a few marbles. Same can be said of anyone trying to sell one that won't let a serious buyer drive it (unless they are trying to hide something).
Old 05-19-2012 | 09:10 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

I would never buy a car without driving it first. Which part of the 911 do you think is so fragile that a test drive will break it?
Old 05-19-2012 | 10:28 AM
spender
Pro

Every time I've sold one of my cars, the first person who comes to see it always wants to buy it - and, in addition to the fact that I do take good care of my wheels, I think it has a lot to do with the approach I take in selling cars. Firstly, I list them on Kijiji and Craigslist as this is the best way to get local exposure - for free. Obviously, there is a lot of screening involved - for example, I automatically eliminate anyone who is not local, or is obviously not using a "real" email address. Once I get to talking to people on the phone, I also eliminate people who start "negotiating" before even having seen the vehicle. Before they arrive to see it, I make sure that it is clean, and parked in a complimentary fashion on the driveway. The first thing I do when they arrive is quickly point out the main features and if there are any issues (I once had an SUV that had been in an accident so I showed the door that had been impacted first so it wasn't an issue).

Then, finally, once I get the sense that they are interested and qualified, and that I want them as a buyer, I hand them the keys, jump in the passenger seat, and we go for a ride. I've always found that test drivers are almost too cautious, and that I usually have to encourage them to open it up a bit - but it is always that test drive that clinches it. By the time we get back to the house, they usually make me an offer.

I've used this approach on about 6 cars, and it has worked every time. I can't imagine buying without a test drive - I mean, would you?
Old 05-19-2012 | 10:40 AM
SSST
Drifting

As others have said, if you don't want to hassle with the process of selling it yourself, the car max deal is a good one.

One other alternative is that I have used a private broker to sell vehicles. We agree on a target price and a commission. The broker does all the work and keeps the car. When he gets a serious offer, he presents it and I make a decision.

I've done this twice and it has worked well both times, getting at the upper end of KBB retail values.
Old 05-19-2012 | 11:21 AM
fivepointnine
Instructor

Originally Posted by spender
Every time I've sold one of my cars, the first person who comes to see it always wants to buy it - and, in addition to the fact that I do take good care of my wheels, I think it has a lot to do with the approach I take in selling cars. Firstly, I list them on Kijiji and Craigslist as this is the best way to get local exposure - for free. Obviously, there is a lot of screening involved - for example, I automatically eliminate anyone who is not local, or is obviously not using a "real" email address. Once I get to talking to people on the phone, I also eliminate people who start "negotiating" before even having seen the vehicle. Before they arrive to see it, I make sure that it is clean, and parked in a complimentary fashion on the driveway. The first thing I do when they arrive is quickly point out the main features and if there are any issues (I once had an SUV that had been in an accident so I showed the door that had been impacted first so it wasn't an issue).

Then, finally, once I get the sense that they are interested and qualified, and that I want them as a buyer, I hand them the keys, jump in the passenger seat, and we go for a ride. I've always found that test drivers are almost too cautious, and that I usually have to encourage them to open it up a bit - but it is always that test drive that clinches it. By the time we get back to the house, they usually make me an offer.

I've used this approach on about 6 cars, and it has worked every time. I can't imagine buying without a test drive - I mean, would you?
I normally try and negotiate over the phone after talking to the owner and getting a feel for the person and the history of the car....reason for me is that I normally end up finding cars that are really far away and I only intend on making one trip......I basically agreed to buy mine over the phone, agreed on a price over the phone pending a test drive/inspection and had a bank check with me for the exact amount. Spend over 2 hours looking over the car bought it and have not been happier
Old 05-20-2012 | 02:57 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

take the carmax deal
Old 05-20-2012 | 07:29 AM
silotwo
Banned

Sounds like a fair offer for a quick and hassle free transaction. My local P-Car dealer offer me $29K for my 04 C2 with 72k miles on the clock - outright purchase - not as a trade. Of course they know the car, purchased there and they are the only dealer who ever touced the car. I was considering it but just not ready to sell - I'll probably kick myself later.

For me it's the hassle factor - I just sold my Harley and probably took 10 to 15 percent less because I didn't want the hassle of advertising and dealing with people. A guy saw it in my storage building, asked if I would sell it ( I can't ride for physical reasons and hadn't ridden it in 3 years), and all I could say was maybe, let me think about it. I gave him my number and he persisted in calling me for about 6 weeks, I finally gave him a price and the bike is now gone. And no test drive - sorry but the Mayhem commercial Eric posted was in my mind.

So if you want more dollars there is a price to pay in terms of time and effort, if you want quick and easy there is value in that as well.

In either case I hope all goes well for you and you end up satisfied.
Old 05-20-2012 | 06:48 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Although I agree the carmax offer is valid... and fair... I understand not wanting to leave money on the table.

When I was looking, I was allowed to drive a 2003 targa by myself, but that was from someone who had a newer GT3 and a cayman in the drive way... this was clearly an "extra" car.

On the car I bought, the seller drove me first, then we switched. He knew I had done homework, and trusted me.

It's a gut check thing.

Make sure you take them somewhere that you are familiar with, and if at all possible as safe a place as you can. A super windy back road should be on his (or her) dime, not yours.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: I want to sell my '04 996 but don't want it to get ruined during all the test drives