Sponsored by:

relay switch test

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default relay switch test

As previously posted I am having trouble with my courtesy light and inside door lights coming on when I open either door. I can see some relays together under the dash in the drivers side foot well. IF and I say a big IF one of these relays control the lights operation, and I was to remove the relay switch, how would I test to find out if the relay was good or bad? Thats short of swapping one for another relay then trying all electrical working parts on the car. Is there a true and tested simple way of finding if the relay has blown or gone bad? Maybe I should just buy a new relay and change them out to see do the lights start working again. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

The purpose of a relay is to act as a switch closing a circuit. This switch is operated by the application of a voltage. To test the relay you will want to measure the continuity across the two poles of the switch (usually a small electrical diagram with pin numbers and the switch symbol). Assuming it's a normally open switch, you should read no continuity between these two poles initially. Then, while still measuring continuity, apply 12v across the other two poles. That will activate the switch and you should see the continuity measurement go from open to a closed circuit(e.g. infinite resistance to some low measurable resistance).

-shawn

Quick Reply: relay switch test