Sponsored by:

Mishap

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM
JWP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mishap

Driving the beltway and encountered a piece of wood. Bent left front wheel (inside) and busted boot on axle. Wheel repaired - to some degree, there is still a small amount of vibration. Now for the boot: has anyone had to replace one, and what can I expect to pay? How long should I wait before getting it repaired? The axle is not damaged buy someone told me I would have to replace the axle as well.

Thanks for your help...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it a C4 or C4S? If so, you're probably talking about the CV joint boot. Need to replace that ASAP as it keeps dirt and crap out of the CV joint and lubrication in the CV joint. If you run it for very long with a damaged boot, you'll need to replace the CV joint as well - much more $$$

If it's not a 4, then disregard all the above.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am assuming it is the outer boot that is needed. We have them available today.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on how long you have driven it, it might be better to just replace the axle. So much easier to do, takes much less time, and don't have to worry about joint on your current axle being contaminated.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JWP
Driving the beltway and encountered a piece of wood. Bent left front wheel (inside) and busted boot on axle. Wheel repaired - to some degree, there is still a small amount of vibration. Now for the boot: has anyone had to replace one, and what can I expect to pay? How long should I wait before getting it repaired? The axle is not damaged buy someone told me I would have to replace the axle as well.

Thanks for your help...
What PJorgen said. Don't delay. Get the damaged rubber dust boot replaced pronto.

When the CV bearing dust boots on my Boxster were found cracked I didn't worry too much cause with over 200K miles I thought I'd just have the tech install new half shafts with not only new boots but new CV bearings.

But when I took the car in and asked about having new half shafts installed I found the price was $900+ per shaft and then labor on top of this. The tech said he'd remove the old ones, clean the bearings, inspect the bearings and if he spotted any reason to not use the old ones he'd advise me.

But he found nothing scary and after a proper repack and new dust boots the OE half shafts with their original CV bearings are back in service and have racked up several tens of thousands of miles since and I believe can go another 200K miles.

Save some money. Get the car in pronto and have the boots replaced. If the tech insists on replacing the half shafts... well, use your best judgement.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 890 Posts

I used aftermarket CV boots the last time I had mine done. The OEM boots aren't very durable.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

If it's like a boxster, you'll have to take the axle out to change the boot... That's why people suggest changing the whole axle - a while-you're-in-there sort of thing.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
JWP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks group for sharing the most helpful information!! It is a 99 C4, 3rd owner, with 78,000 miles. It happened last Friday, drove it once since then. I should have it repaired next week. Dealer wants 80 bucks, but I have another quote for half that amount. Planning on a set of new wheels eventually.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Quick Reply: Mishap