Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

to buy or not to buy (996 sat for 5 years...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The car wasn't stored for 5 years, it was driven 2k miles a year for 5 years. I would ask the owner how he drove it. If he drove it for a good long 50 mile+ ride a few times a month, I wouldn't have a problem. If he took it out for a 10 minute ride to and from Starbucks on Sunday and then put it away, I would be concerned.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Gr8hifi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the seller freaked out for Lord-knows-what-reason and decided to not sell the car. I've sent another email with a little prodding on it as I'm kind of pissed that I've been going back and fourth with this seller for the better part of the last two weeks trying to get information. Just today they made the VIN available to me. If the person does not respond tomorrow in a nice way, I'm going to post our email exchanges and a link to the car on here as a "buyer-beware" to those that give a crap.

This search is beginning to get exhausting (been looking <seriously> since early FEB... not long, I know. Just getting "itchy")

btw, thanks for showing PHILOO's car. I'll give that a good look tonight. I really want the PSE, but, beggars can't be choosers and I'd prefer a "known" car over an unknown one.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 AM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the guy was never an enthusiast and wasn't ready for the **** probe he felt he was getting. Im not saying you are wrong but let it go. It's obviously not the car for you. This is not the Porsche you are looking for.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Gr8hifi
Track Day

You bring up such a great point. My friends think I'm being kind of a dick wanting to get a PPI on one of these cars. They've never heard of such a thing. I guess I thought that was standard practice. You're right, my best bet is probably to buy from the forums....
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

I think a PPI is standard practice on this type of car. Unless you bye from a p-car dealer. Most p-car dealers will not sell car they think have a problem they send them to auction.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

The kind of $$$$$$$ these cars can cost to make something right, one would be CRAZY to purchase one with out a full blown poke and cough.

Only Noobs do something as stupid as purchase a Porsche with out a PPI
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Send Philooo an email. Ive seen his car in person. He has taken good care his carrera. Some tasty carbon bits inside as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitely think you are doing the right things and asking the good questions. I just started to think what it might seem like to somebody who doesn't think like we do and also that maybe the cars history is going to bug you too much going forward. Either way best of luck in the continued search! To me it is a big part of the fun of any major purchase.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Gr8hifi
Track Day

Well, they cancelled the sale. No big deal. Slightly bummed as it seemed like "the one." I decided not to post the email exchanges. The last response from the seller was not very nice. I did email Phil. Wish that car had the PSE and PSM. He's a little on the fence about selling it. I can't say that I blame him from the looks of it. It's a pretty hot ride. Anyway, my search continues. If any of you guys see a unicorn out there with an unheard of price.... ; )
Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 AM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

PSE...aw, heck, add your own exhaust.

PSM... it's called your right foot.

Are we not MEN?!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8hifi
Well, they cancelled the sale. No big deal. Slightly bummed as it seemed like "the one." I decided not to post the email exchanges. The last response from the seller was not very nice. I did email Phil. Wish that car had the PSE and PSM. He's a little on the fence about selling it. I can't say that I blame him from the looks of it. It's a pretty hot ride. Anyway, my search continues. If any of you guys see a unicorn out there with an unheard of price.... ; )
His car has the fister mod which is pretty close to PSE sound. Also, dont get hung up on PSM. I intentionally turn PSM off when I track my car. It does spooky things when you are pushing the car to it's limits. It taps the brakes for you in a 100 mph sweepers... no bueno. I prefer to be in total control of the car not the other way around.

Good luck on your search.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gretch
The kind of $$$$$$$ these cars can cost to make something right, one would be CRAZY to purchase one with out a full blown poke and cough.

Only Noobs do something as stupid as purchase a Porsche with out a PPI
What could be so expensive to make the car right? Its just like any other car, except it's the most reliable car in the world. If you can save couple thousand dollars by not having PPI its a risk worth taking any day for me. By PPI i mean taking the car to a shop where a mechanic will look at it. Of course you need to test drive the car for at least 20 min at different condtions and speeds, if you have a jack, jack it up and get under the car, check for RMS leakis etc, and other leaks. that might be serious. Many of them are not.

99% of faults should come out in a test drive, if you know what you are looking for. But after few test drives you will know what sounds right and what doesn't. If the test drive does not feel right walk away.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say 'sat', it sounds like the car has been driven at intervals, just fairly infrequently or for low-mileage trips.

If the PPI is performed by a competent mech, who knows the history (and therefore what to take a closer look at), I don't see any reason to totally dismiss it, especially if the price is right.

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy (996 sat for 5 years...)