Sponsored by:

Head Light Washers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Light Washers

I've been meaning to share this for a while. When I had clear film installed the installer convinced me to do the headlights as well. He said that he would "pop" the washer covers off and reinstall them on top of the film. Sounded good to me.

Shortly after I took a road trip and accidently pushed the stalk for the washers, I heard a couple of "pings" like something bounced off my windshield.

The next morning I was looking for marks on my windshield and low and behold I noticed I had no covers on the head light washers. And here is why - they are not meant to "pop" off - they are plastice and what I would describe as riveted to the washer nozzle.

So if anyone tells you they will pop them off, or if you are going to recondition your headlamps and pop them off, know that the new nozzles will run you about $45 to $60 each depending on where you buy them.
Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The caps for the Cayenne, and most (probably all) Audis do just pop off. The 996 caps are actually part of the nozzle. Your installer probably had no idea. The proper way to do it would have been to have someone activate the headlight washers, then "catch" and hold it before it went back down.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The pressure required to keep them out of the housing is quite substantial !

I did pop them out to apply film on my headlight but it was like arm wrestling really, the return spring is insane and there is little to grip. Once you have a firm grip on the thing you can use a flat screwdriver to pop off the chrome piece.

I advise to remove the headlight housing from the car and get a good working position on a table to do the work.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Suncoast Part has them on their website, talk to Rick Knab
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
I've been meaning to share this for a while. When I had clear film installed the installer convinced me to do the headlights as well. He said that he would "pop" the washer covers off and reinstall them on top of the film. Sounded good to me.

Shortly after I took a road trip and accidently pushed the stalk for the washers, I heard a couple of "pings" like something bounced off my windshield.

The next morning I was looking for marks on my windshield and low and behold I noticed I had no covers on the head light washers. And here is why - they are not meant to "pop" off - they are plastice and what I would describe as riveted to the washer nozzle.

So if anyone tells you they will pop them off, or if you are going to recondition your headlamps and pop them off, know that the new nozzles will run you about $45 to $60 each depending on where you buy them.
I thought they were supposed to pop off the first time you use them??

Quick Reply: Head Light Washers