Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Drive 14hours in new used 996 without IMS Guardian? (would you?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
^Lawson, that's a cool pic. You shoud re-size it to 400 x 400 (I don't recall the unit of measure) and use as an avatar.
Thx! Great idea! I'll do that as soon as I get home
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
nittanyguy1
Advanced

I would suggest you get new ims bearing, guardian, new clutch, rms, tires, brakes, and possibly some snappy new rims before you drive it home. You may also want to hire an F1 support crew to follow you on the drive with a full mechanics truck and possibly a spare car on your drive home.

Or, simply hop in the car, and enjoy the 14 hour drive home in one of the best performance cars ever produced. Over 100,000 other cars with nary an ims problem was enough "piece of mind" for me. I drove 10 hours in a 99 from Chicago back east. Fantastic drive. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my car in 07, I had no clue about the IMS scare, and let me tell you, I was more worried about some idiot hitting my car, than having a mechanical failure! Ignorance was bliss!

If the PPI checks out, just enjoy the ride home!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I was asking my service advisor at the local dealership about the prevelance of IMS engine failures in 996/986 cars. He said he would estimate 10% and his theory is the majority are cars that are seldom driven
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Close your eyes, drive very fast and pray...
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
dcautomotive
Former Vendor

Me personally i would ship the car home or to mechanic, might do a clutch and ims at the same time, then drive and enjoy.
my .02

rob
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the car passes PPI, is up to your standards, has what you want, doesn't break your piggy bank...I would exchange $ for title, fill it with premium and start an adventure home in your new Porsche.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I would buy an Acura NSX or something more predictable. I do not think you will enjoy a Porsche.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
maintcon
7th Gear

Buy a Chevy Truck, leave the 996's to those that will enjoy the ride, not the worry.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Gr8hifi
Track Day

Wow, this board rocks. It's almost as fun as reading the drudge report and CNN back to back!

Anyway, I've emailed the seller letting them know that I'll be planning to purchase the car in the next week or so depending on how we can link our schedules. My other big fear is "do I park it at a hotel or drive it the whole way back?" ... anybody wanna hold my hand on the way : )

And, for what it's worth. I will put in the upgraded bearing once I do the clutch. I plan to do that much myself (when the time is right). I'm pretty mechanically inclined, this is just my first "real" piece of machinery so I'm just a touch nervous right now apparently thanks to what some are titling "fear-mongering."

We'll see how it goes. I'll post back what happens when the time comes.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8hifi
Wow, this board rocks. It's almost as fun as reading the drudge report and CNN back to back!

Anyway, I've emailed the seller letting them know that I'll be planning to purchase the car in the next week or so depending on how we can link our schedules. My other big fear is "do I park it at a hotel or drive it the whole way back?" ... anybody wanna hold my hand on the way : )

And, for what it's worth. I will put in the upgraded bearing once I do the clutch. I plan to do that much myself (when the time is right). I'm pretty mechanically inclined, this is just my first "real" piece of machinery so I'm just a touch nervous right now apparently thanks to what some are titling "fear-mongering."

We'll see how it goes. I'll post back what happens when the time comes.

Thanks again,
Jason

Hope all goes well Jason, post pics when you get it!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let the rpm go below 5k during the trip and you should be OK.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
100plus
Pro

I drove my car in my own version of le man. It made the car "healthier" (: hahaha
Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As has been stated already - 14 hours is *way* too long to be driving any M96 equipped automobile without first replacing the IMS bearing.

I think so far the record is only 8 hours before failure, and that was a special case where the car was being driven hard not soft as I expect you will be doing.

The good news is that the government is working on setting up a network of IMSB bearing replacement facilities along both major roads as well as some of the more enthusiast oriented roads throughout the nation.

The government is doing this because of the growing problem of disabled hulks lining the nation's roads and in many cases these hulks are blocking emergency routes.

It certainly makes you wonder why anyone would buy a modern Porsche - but that's only until you drive one. Once bitten, you realize why it's worth the hassle and expense of having to replace the bearing every 8 hours or so.

You've made a good choice - and it's a good thing you've put some money aside. I only budgeted enough for 3 IMSB replacement - and I used up almost all of my 24 hours of driving time within the first two weeks so now I've got a hulk in my garage which I can only drive for about one more hour, and that's not long enough to get me to the nearest IMSB replacement facility.

It's a real dilemma. Plan accordingly.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
As has been stated already - 14 hours is *way* too long to be driving any M96 equipped automobile without first replacing the IMS bearing.

I think so far the record is only 8 hours before failure, and that was a special case where the car was being driven hard not soft as I expect you will be doing.

The good news is that the government is working on setting up a network of IMSB bearing replacement facilities along both major roads as well as some of the more enthusiast oriented roads throughout the nation.

The government is doing this because of the growing problem of disabled hulks lining the nation's roads and in many cases these hulks are blocking emergency routes.

It certainly makes you wonder why anyone would buy a modern Porsche - but that's only until you drive one. Once bitten, you realize why it's worth the hassle and expense of having to replace the bearing every 8 hours or so.

You've made a good choice - and it's a good thing you've put some money aside. I only budgeted enough for 3 IMSB replacement - and I used up almost all of my 24 hours of driving time within the first two weeks so now I've got a hulk in my garage which I can only drive for about one more hour, and that's not long enough to get me to the nearest IMSB replacement facility.

It's a real dilemma. Plan accordingly.

Quick Reply: Drive 14hours in new used 996 without IMS Guardian? (would you?)