Sponsored by:

NA-TT 996 3.4 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA-TT 996 3.4 build

I want to squeeze a little more power out of my 996. When I say I little I'm talking somewhere around 100whp more. Has anyone on here built up their own turbo kit to use on the early 996 that would like to share their thoughts? I'm thinking of picking up two KKK K26 Turbos, Mazda 323 intercoolers, piping and what not just to get started. I'd also like to know if anyone knows of a good location to tap into for my oil feed lines.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Canton makes sandwich adapters that go between the oil filter and the block to allow input and output from the oil system. They are normally used for Accusump installs.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Plumbing is the easy part compared to ecu tuning and management. I've built a half dozen turbo kits previously for BMWs, Honda, and Subarus but I will not touch the Porsche motor. Too expensive to replace and the ECU is relatively unknown to tinker with.

Please don't go the ghetto route with bigger injectors and rising rate afpr. Even then you still have to find a way to adjust timing.

Best of luck if you're brave enough to go down this route.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
smokindav
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just buy a turbo car? One problem with trying to turbo charge a regular 996 911 is where do you put the aftercoolers?

I've seen high mile turbo cars for under $30k and cars with mileage between 30-60k in the $30s and $40k range.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by smokindav
One problem with trying to turbo charge a regular 996 911 is where do you put the aftercoolers?
There are a few aftermarket turbo kits out there already.

Both TPC and Vivid puts the intercooler where the factory airbox area was.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish the vivid racing kit used an exhaust style like the tpc kit.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawson4323
I want to squeeze a little more power out of my 996. When I say I little I'm talking somewhere around 100whp more. Has anyone on here built up their own turbo kit to use on the early 996 that would like to share their thoughts? I'm thinking of picking up two KKK K26 Turbos, Mazda 323 intercoolers, piping and what not just to get started. I'd also like to know if anyone knows of a good location to tap into for my oil feed lines.
The 3.4 has the weakest, thinnest cylinder walls of any Porsche engine so the 1st step is to reinforce the cylinder walls with billet sleeves, while you are in there install a 3.6 crankshaft so you end up with 3.8 litres. At this point if you want more power the engine can take it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Byprodriver, I also thought that the 3.6 crank was the way to go, if you were rebuilding a 3.4 engine. I believe that I read on Jake Raby's site or in one of his posts, that the 3.6 crank will not work in a 3.4 engine because the oil passages are not compatable. Did I misread his information? Do you know something different from personal experience? Thanks for any information that you can provide. It would be nice if we could buy a stronger aftermarket crankshaft for our cars to allow for greater displacement.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawson4323
Its actually all pretty much easily done to be honest. I wouldnt use KKK K26 turbos, extremely old tech. I would grab a couple of Garrett GT28's with internal WG's.

The ECU stuff is the easiest part, just reflash tuning on the dyno.

The hardest part really is the intercooling, a water to air setup will be the logical choice, maybe a PWR unit.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by NZ951

The ECU stuff is the easiest part, just reflash tuning on the dyno.

Lol, care to explain?

Do you know how many tuners/people have the Porsche ECU figured out? You do realize that tuning on the dyno mainly gets you WOT conditions and lacks the granular level to do part throttle mapping and daily driving conditions such as temp and humidity. Granted if you leave enough of safety buffer in your tune, these areas might not have that much of effect.

Have you ever tuned a car before?

I can tell you the majority of the cost of a "well" tuned turbo kit is in the r&d tuning area which takes the most amount of time(assuming factory ecu is used).
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I agree with some the plumbing and Turbo's is the easiest and the weakest link is the tune and since it would be custom it will be pricey and a selected few tuners can do it. Building it was fun however if I did it again I would just buy the kit. GL

Last edited by Mother; 05-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpine003
I can tell you the majority of the cost of a "well" tuned turbo kit is in the r&d tuning area which takes the most amount of time(assuming factory ecu is used).
I completely agree. This is a baseline tune of my SC custom tune that is out of tune and really needs to be complete idle thru WOT to be safe in my opinion. Here is a link to some tuning problems.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...problem-s.html
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Mother
Building it was fun however if I did it again I would just buy the kit. GL
I'm glad you're taking this in good stride. Fun for me would be if I had another Porsche I could drive while I spend the next year or two sorting it out on a second car on whatever weekends I'm free or feel like tinkering. Oh and I would probably have to go through a few wideband sensors since those have limited life and build a laptop holder on the passenger side on an almost permanent basis. Not to mention wire up a knock sensor AND drive around with headphones because I'm OCD like that. I would also probably end up spending a good amount of gas money driving it around with various conditions and environments to further refine the map.

Not worth it and I completely agree in buying a kit the first time around for some thing like this.

If only there was a plug and play version of one of the many "auto-tune" ecu's out there for our cars... Then we still have to deal with the anti-theft and coding issues as well...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Byprodriver, I also thought that the 3.6 crank was the way to go, if you were rebuilding a 3.4 engine. I believe that I read on Jake Raby's site or in one of his posts, that the 3.6 crank will not work in a 3.4 engine because the oil passages are not compatable. Did I misread his information? Do you know something different from personal experience? Thanks for any information that you can provide. It would be nice if we could buy a stronger aftermarket crankshaft for our cars to allow for greater displacement.
I'm not saying the 3.6 crank is cost effective since it only adds 200cc & you have to have the crank carrier & shorter rods also. I'm saying you end up with a better engine than bolting a Turbo onto a stock engine if you want a 30% power increase like the OP does. I believe Jake Raby has billet cranks available.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Lol, care to explain?

Do you know how many tuners/people have the Porsche ECU figured out? You do realize that tuning on the dyno mainly gets you WOT conditions and lacks the granular level to do part throttle mapping and daily driving conditions such as temp and humidity. Granted if you leave enough of safety buffer in your tune, these areas might not have that much of effect.

Have you ever tuned a car before?

Do you know how dyno's work? And the tables in ECU's? The WOT comment is a little odd.

Yup, I have tuned a car, using an aftermarket ECU, my flatmate has a dynapac hub dyno.

Its the easiest part because you just pop the car on the dyno, and enter values into timing and fueling tables plus other parameter tables like excel fueling and over run and rev limit and you get the point... reflashing an ECU will run around $2k depending on he process (live mapping versus save and run incremental changes mapping). Or about the cost of one of the two new turbo's

Nothing wrong with buying a kit if you cant do the work yourself... the cost is unreasonable though in my view.

I have not tuned a 911 before, only a 944 turbo, Supra, Levin, and Trueno. When did you start tuning 996's? Keen to hear your experiences.

Last edited by NZ951; 05-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: NA-TT 996 3.4 build