Sponsored by:

Need help with deep sump install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with deep sump install

I'm installing LN's .5liter deep sump and have run into an issue. The bolts they sent for the baffle are M6x10 (whereas the originals are M6x15). Their website says the kit should include (3) M6x20 bolts for the baffle. A test fit shows that the old bolts (M6x15) grab at least three or four threads. Is this enough to use these? I'm heading now to Lowe's to look for the right size, and I've emailed and called LN.

Has anyone installed this kit? Do you have a recommendation? Use the old bolts for the baffle or get the correct size in the next few days. I need this done by Thursday.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about the thread length and this kit but I would use what they recommend.

I wouldn't buy bolts at Lowe's, they will all be very cheap and not fit for automotive use (even the ones that say they are). They will rust almost instantly. And good luck finding the right size there.

Go to a good auto parts store (Napa) or a good hardware store (like a big ACE hardware with rows and rows of fasteners in bins). Tell them you want something for a car, so you get the right grade, hardness and something that won't rust instantly.

Alternatively, any car dealer should have these bolts for you.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Thanks Logray. I sourced one from an auto parts store as you suggested that will work. I've got it all back to together now and ready to test my work next weekend.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

If the internal baffle bolts rust right away you have bigger problems. What kind of oil are you using??
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
dsowen
Advanced

fpb111: I'm not using any as a weight saving measure!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I misread the original post and was thinking cover, yes the bolts inside the sump would not rust but definitely not something you want to cheap out on... buy some quality hardware instead of the cheap stuff. You did the right thing.

Quick Reply: Need help with deep sump install