Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tricky airbag problem 996 C2 '98 (new one?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
ZoRG
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tricky airbag problem 996 C2 '98 (new one?)

My 996 c2 '98 has had a problem with the airbag light for some time. I finally decided to do something about it due to failure to pass inspection :bang head:

Ok, here goes nothing...

I have analyzed using Durametric, result is fault codes in engine ECU and alarm system. (1265 in ECU and 16 in alarm system) The specific ECU for the airbag won't respond to Durametric at all (v5.1 professional). The 1265 is clearable but the light does not disappear and code reappears after a short while. The airbag ECU is (physically) present, I checked today...

There is nothing about problems with connectors in the steering column or seat belt buckles, but maybe these fault codes appear in the airbag ECU?

I know there is the possibility to replace the airbag ECU (at a substantive cost including VIN coding at Porsche). It is not possible to buy a used unit, therefore I would like to avoid replacing the unit without feeling secure that I have to... I got the advice from an independent Porsche mechanic to check with PIWIS too... possibly PIWIS could connect to the airbag ECU?

(The car has not been repaired as result of a substantial accident. The airbag unit should not be expired due to three deployments.)

Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM
ZoRG
4th Gear

Ok - it seems to be many used airbag control units for sale from Boxsters and 996es on eBay.. can these be reprogrammed by using pst2 or PIWIS. (For sure not by using Durametric I guess?)

Anyone with experiences to share??
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
ZoRG
4th Gear

Ok so here is the latest info:

I disconnected the airbag control unit and sent it to a guy who saved my VIN info etc and then reflashed the unit. He couldn't test it afterwards though since he only works directly to the memory in the unit. Once I reconnected the unit the fault stayed the same (fault code 1265).

Now I am down to 2 possible error sources:

1) Hardware error in the control unit
2) Wiring troubles in the loom between the ECU/DME and the airbag control unit

PLease let me know if you have thoughts on how I should proceed I am having a little trouble reading the wiring diagram so far, but using the multimeter I have at least found out that there is a steady 12V on 2 pins (in the airbag control unit connector) when the ignition is on.

Quick Reply: Tricky airbag problem 996 C2 '98 (new one?)