996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sunroof issue can use some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
calbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, I'm afraid this is caused by a sunroof motor about to give up its ghost. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. ~$320 if I recall.

All the symptoms described above sound quite reminiscent of what I'd gone through last year. Retraining cycles, errant behavior, multimeter testing, cleaning and lubing tracks, etc.

Took it to our local dealer and at first they said a new sunroof assembly, i.e., tracks, would do the trick.

After the new track was installed, it still wouldn't work properly, so they called apologetically and said a new motor was needed too. At least they didn't charge labor for the motor install. Since the motor needed to be ordered, they provided me with a loaner Audi A4, which made me miss my Porsche even more.

The repair was done in a day as promised. A year has passed since, and everything works as it should.

BTW one-touch closing from the tilt position does NOT work in normal behavior. All others (sliding open, sliding shut, and tilting open) are one-touch operation.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, nothing seems to work I am going to try a batery disconnect when I do next service but I kind of just gave up on ever getting one touch back and so just use it manually holding the open / close button.
And yes you are correct from tild was never one touch.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it very well could be the motor as it sure does seem to draw a lot of current. I also lubed everything in sight and that didn't make any difference
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I poked around it some more, removing the headliner panel under the sunroof to see more of what is going on.
. Now I doubt it's the motor as it just seems to want to tilt up further that it's supposed to.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Reviving this thread as I am having the Dyslexic sunroof syndrome. I the over head console off as I needed to close the sunroof with the provided hex tool. I discovered that the motor itself was very hot to the touch. I had been trying to run the sunroof back and forth and found that it was running very slowly and was not responding to the switch accurately (ie: It would move in the back direction, no matter what part of the switch I pushed) Is the hot motor the sign that it's time to swap that out? I know there are 3-4 possibilities so I'd like to attempt the most likely culprit first so I don't have to deal with buying so many expensive parts up front. TiA

Quick Reply: Sunroof issue can use some help