Sponsored by:

changing amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing amp

so i want to change the MOST-bus radio to one where it has a headunit that can play my iphone's music via usb. none of the head units are MOST compatible. My question is this: Can i just take out the amp from the front and install any other amp? is there anything i have to worry about for dimensions? wiring?

i figure it's the cheapest way to get iphone installation. Buy a $150 pioneer amp, another simple $150 head unit, and you get a great quality non-fm modulated sound. And i say $150 for my amp cause i dont need any special super megawatt amp - i dont bump music lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For about $390 you can get the factory Porsche multimedia interface. Otherwise, I would think any amp that you can find space for and wire to your new head unit would work.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I did this not to long ago. I used the stock amp. I installed a JVC unit.
The JVC unit allowed me to Bi-amp the set up.
I installed an active (powered) 6" bazooka behind the rear seats it fit really nice.

I then cut the stock amp and speaker off at about 250 Hz maybe lower, cant remember the exact cross over, and then let the bazooka take over on anything lower. Sounds good and has plenty-o-power with the top open. you should hear this on it... ROCKS!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE2
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp install

I bypassed stock amp and installed the Alpines under a false floor in the trunk. I used a JVC Head unit with Bluetooth and Ipod controls. Built a sub box that fit on the parcel shelf containing two 8" Kicker subs. New Infinity speakers all around except the upper dash are still stock. Sounds awesome!

Last edited by trapperdog; 05-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: changing amp